#130 - Llama 2, Elon Musk’s xAI, WormGPT, LongLLaMA, AI apocalypse, actors on strike
Our 130th episode with a summary and discussion of last week's big AI news!
Co-hosted this week by Jon Krohn of the Super Data Science Podcast podcast.
Correction: Elon Musk's company is named xAI, not x.AI.
Read out our text newsletter and comment on the podcast at https://lastweekin.ai/
Email us your questions and feedback at email@example.com
Timestamps + links:
- (00:00 ) Intro / Banter
- (07:30 ) Response to listener comments / corrections
- Tools & Apps
- (08:30 ) Google’s AI-assisted note-taking app gets limited launch as NotebookLM
- (14:38 ) Artists are losing the battle against AI. Glaze, a tool that's found a way to trick algorithms, is giving them a fighting chance.
- Applications & Business
- (18:20 ) Meta and Microsoft release Llama 2, an AI language model for commercial use
- (33:24 ) U.S. companies are on a hiring spree for A.I. jobs—and they pay an average of $146,000 + San Francisco Companies Got Half the World’s AI Funding So Far This Year
- (35:42 ) 65% Of Top AI Companies Have Immigrant Founders
- (36:50 ) Elon Musk unveils his AI company, X.AI
- Spotify CEO’s startup for AI-powered preventive healthcare raises €60M
- (44:25 ) OpenAI strikes deal with AP to pay for using its news in training AI
- (46:03 ) Shutterstock expands deal with OpenAI to build generative AI tools
- Projects & Open Source
- (47:20 ) WormGPT – The Generative AI Tool Cybercriminals Are Using to Launch Business Email Compromise Attacks
- Research & Advancements
- (50:53 ) Meet LongLLaMA: A Large Language Model Capable of Handling Long Contexts of 256k Tokens
- (56:37 ) Mixture-of-Experts Meets Instruction Tuning:A Winning Combination for Large Language Models
- (01:03:50 ) AI tools are designing entirely new proteins that could transform medicine
- (01:08:25 ) Sketch-A-Shape: Zero-Shot Sketch-to-3D Shape Generation
- (01:12:57 ) Patch n' Pack: NaViT, a Vision Transformer for any Aspect Ratio and Resolution
- (01:14:20 ) Scientists just used A.I. to map a fruit fly’s brain. Here’s why it’s a ‘turning point in neuroscience’
- Policy & Safety
- (01:25:40 ) What are the chances of an AI apocalypse?
- (01:35:40 ) China finalizes first-of-its-kind rules governing generative A.I. services like ChatGPT
- (01:38:57 ) US senators to get classified White House AI briefing Tuesday
- (01:40:08 ) US FTC opens investigation into OpenAI
- (01:41:55 ) UK universities draw up guiding principles on generative AI
- Synthetic Media & Art
- (01:42:57 ) Producers allegedly sought rights to replicate extras using AI, forever, for just $200 + Hollywood's 'Groundbreaking' AI Proposal for Actors Sounds Like a Nightmare
- (01:44:20 ) Outro