287: Lost in translation, spiders, and slapping tortillas - with Mikko Hyppönen
We're back from our summer break as we ask how did a cryptomining campaign stay unspotted for years, quiz special guest and infosec rockstar Mikko Hyppönen about his book, and ponder what spiders teach us about misinformation.
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
- The 20 Funniest Finnish Expressions (and How To Use Them) - Matador Network.
- Sophos punts anti-virus for Klingon - The Register.
- Helsinki named Klingon-speaking capital of the world – Naked Security.
- Check Point Research detects Crypto Miner malware disguised as Google translate desktop and other legitimate applications - Check Point Research.
- If It's Smart It's Vulnerable - Book by Mikko Hyppönen.
- Psychological inoculation improves resilience against misinformation on social media -Science Advances.
- Let’s flatten the infodemic curve - WHO.
- The global spread of misinformation on spiders - Current Biology.
- A Journey Into Misinformation on Social Media - The New York Times.
- Google Looks to Vaccination to Combat Misinformation In Searches - The New York Times.
- Spiders Are Caught in a Global Web of Misinformation - The New York Times.
- The rock-paper-scissors/tortilla wrap game.
- DEF CON: The Documentary.
- Smashing Security Painting competition – Carole.wtf.
- Open Exhibition, Summer 2022 - Oxford Art Society.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)
- Bitwarden – Password security you can trust. Bitwarden is an open source password manager trusted by millions of individuals, teams, and organizations worldwide for secure password storage and sharing.
- Gigamon - Gigamon is the leading deep observability company. Download their latest report into the state of ransomware to learn why deep observability is the new frontier for tackling the ransomware crisis.
- Kolide – the SaaS app that sends employees important, timely, and relevant security recommendations concerning their Mac, Windows, and Linux devices, right inside Slack.
Support the show:
Become a Patreon supporter for ad-free episodes and our early-release feed!
Theme tune: "Vinyl Memories" by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.