287: Lost in translation, spiders, and slapping tortillas - with Mikko Hyppönen
We're back from our summer break as we ask how did a cryptomining campaign stay unspotted for years, quiz special guest and infosec rockstar Mikko Hyppönen about his book, and ponder what spiders teach us about misinformation.
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the "Smashing Security" podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault.
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
- The 20 Funniest Finnish Expressions (and How To Use Them) - Matador Network.
- Sophos punts anti-virus for Klingon - The Register.
- Helsinki named Klingon-speaking capital of the world – Naked Security.
- Check Point Research detects Crypto Miner malware disguised as Google translate desktop and other legitimate applications - Check Point Research.
- If It's Smart It's Vulnerable - Book by Mikko Hyppönen.
- Psychological inoculation improves resilience against misinformation on social media -Science Advances.
- Let’s flatten the infodemic curve - WHO.
- The global spread of misinformation on spiders - Current Biology.
- A Journey Into Misinformation on Social Media - The New York Times.
- Google Looks to Vaccination to Combat Misinformation In Searches - The New York Times.
- Spiders Are Caught in a Global Web of Misinformation - The New York Times.
- The rock-paper-scissors/tortilla wrap game.
- DEF CON: The Documentary.
- Smashing Security Painting competition – Carole.wtf.
- Open Exhibition, Summer 2022 - Oxford Art Society.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)
- Bitwarden – Password security you can trust. Bitwarden is an open source password manager trusted by millions of individuals, teams, and organizations worldwide for secure password storage and sharing.
- Gigamon - Gigamon is the leading deep observability company. Download their latest report into the state of ransomware to learn why deep observability is the new frontier for tackling the ransomware crisis.
- Kolide – the SaaS app that sends employees important, timely, and relevant security recommendations concerning their Mac, Windows, and Linux devices, right inside Slack.
Support the show:
You can help the podcast by telling your friends and colleagues about “Smashing Security”, and leaving us a review on Apple Podcasts or Podchaser.
Become a Patreon supporter for ad-free episodes and our early-release feed!
Follow the show on Twitter at @SmashinSecurity, or on the Smashing Security subreddit, or visit our website for more episodes.
Theme tune: "Vinyl Memories" by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.