449 | Rubber Ducks and Systems for Land Investing
In this episode: determining your FI goals, real estate investing, land investing, liquidity, and proof of concept.
Whether you are new to FI or have achieved it, you have probably noticed a big change not only in how you live your life, but how you perceive yourself. You may be more intentional and strive to make changes in all areas of your life, not just financial ones. This week we are joined by our friend JT Olmstead to discuss the ins and outs of land investing, as well as talk about the importance of having the right mentality to accomplish your goals and become the best version of yourself. While on the journey to FI, you may feel momentum and motivation to keep pushing towards your FI number, but oftentimes the journey doesn’t end when you get to the finish line. A large part of this journey is learning from failures, changing your goals, and changing your plans as you change! Though your plans and goals may not always be accomplished the way you think, having the right mindset throughout this journey will be just as beneficial to you as having plans in place.
- 0:56 - Introduction
- 5:20 - Determining Your FI Goals
- 11:34 - The Top End of Your Capabilities/The Skill Of Saying No
- 22:01 - Real Estate Investing
- 27:43 - Transitioning to Land Investing
- 32:16 - The Intersection of FI and Real Estate Investing
- 42:12 - Personal Proof of Concept/Land Investing
- 48:17 - Liquidity/Structuring Buying and Selling Systems
- 59:52 - Resources For Land Investing/Where to Start
- 62:59 - The Hot Seat
- 72:12 - Conclusion
Resources Mentioned In Today’s Episode:
- Camp FI
- Mr. Money Mustache
- Small and Mighty Real Estate Investor | Chad Carson | ChooseFI Ep 446
- FIRE Drill Podcast
- Seth Williams RE Tipster
- Annie Duke
- Casual Fridays Podcast
- "The Comfort Crisis: Embrace Discomfort To Reclaim Your Wild, Happy, Healthy Self" by Michael Easter
- Join ChooseFI's Facebook Group!
- Subscribe to The FI Weekly!
More Helpful Links and Resources:
- Earn $1,000 in cashback with ChooseFI's 3-card credit card strategy
- Share FI by sending a friend ChooseFI: Your Blueprint to Financial Independence
- Keep learning or start a new side hustle with one of our educational courses
- Commission-Free Investing with M1 Finance