451: The best diet for mental health & how to find the root cause of your anxiety | Psychiatrist Chris Palmer, M.D.
Chris Palmer, M.D.: “More people are unable to go to work or school because of a mental disorder than any other medical condition.”
Chris, a Harvard psychiatrist and researcher, joins mbg co-CEO, Jason Wachob, to discuss the metabolic approach to mental health, plus:
- The revolutionary breakthrough in brain health (~00:45 )
- How to get to the root of mental illness (~02:06 )
- What causes various mental health issues (~06:04 )
- How to know if medication or talk therapy will work for you (~10:59 )
- The connection between metabolism & mental health (~16:36 )
- How to enhance your mitochondrial health (~24:41 )
- How to know if your mitochondria are functioning properly (~28:08 )
- How to know if your mental health issue comes from poor metabolism (~31:44 )
- How going keto can support mental health (~36:49 )
- How to start a fasting mimicking diet for brain health (~42:15 )
- The ultimate food list for metabolic & mental health (~48:33 )
- The foods you should avoid to reduce anxiety (~51:21 )
- How much exercise you need if you’re concerned about mental health (~54:42 )
- Why Chris believes we can heal mental illness (~1:00:14 )
Referenced in the episode:
- Chris's book, Brain Energy.
- Check out Chris's website.
- A study on treatment-resistant depression.
- A study showing 88% of Americans are metabolically unhealthy.
- A study showing how metformin and exercise therapies can affect each other.
We hope you enjoy this episode, and feel free to watch the full video on Youtube! Whether it's an article or podcast, we want to know what we can do to help here at mindbodygreen. Let us know at: email@example.com.