451 | Mini-Retirements to Accelerate Your Path to FI | Jillian Johnsrud
In this episode: mini-retirements, building fun into your life, structuring and planning mini-retirements, negotiating, and gaining momentum.
When pursuing your FI goal, it can feel like you are on a set trajectory, and picking up new habits or hobbies can seem overwhelming because you don’t have the time to focus on them. However, you should never feel held back from starting something new! This week we are joined by Jillian Johnsrud to define and discuss the mini-retirement strategy, and how taking a break to recover, relax, and re-strategize can propel you towards your FI goals! Sometimes the thought of taking a break can seem scary, or even the thought of relaxing can be more stressful than it's meant to be. But, taking the time and space away from your usual structure can allow you the space and bandwidth to pursue other avenues that you are passionate about! While the thought of a mini-retirement can leave you feeling unstructured from your usual 9-5, it can usher in more time for hobbies, side hustles, or even new jobs! So, while your journey to FI may be filled with rules and guidelines set in place to help you reach your FI goal, remember that there is no harm in taking an active rest in order to restructure your goals and re-motivate you!
- Website: jillianjohnsrud.com
- Podcast: Everyday Courage
- Book: "Fire the Haters: Finding Courage to Create Online in a Critical World"
- 0:59 - Introduction
- 3:34 - Building Fun Into Your Life
- 12:25 - The Purpose of Mini-Retirements
- 19:35 - Structuring A Mini Retirement And Avoiding Mistakes
- 28:25 - Gaining Momentum In A Mini-Retirement
- 37:17 - Mini-Retirement Negotiation
- 45:55 - Planning A Mini-Retirement
- 50:42 - Conclusion
Resources Mentioned In Today’s Episode:
More Helpful Links and Resources:
- Earn $1,000 in cashback with ChooseFI's 3-card credit card strategy
- Share FI by sending a friend ChooseFI: Your Blueprint to Financial Independence
- Keep learning or start a new side hustle with one of our educational courses
- Commission-Free Investing with M1 Finance