453: Sleep hacks, jet lag & how to train your circadian rhythm | Psychologist Aric Prather, Ph.D.
Aric Prather, Ph.D.: “When people have extended periods of sleep loss, or even just one night, we see robust changes in their cognition.”
Aric, a licensed clinical psychologist, joins mbg co-CEO, Jason Wachob, to discuss how to have the best sleep of your life, plus:
- How Aric uses cognitive behavioral therapy for poor sleep (~00:38 )
- How poor sleep affects your health (~02:06 )
- The power of natural light for your circadian rhythm (~06:30 )
- What Aric thinks about permanent daylight savings (~11:04 )
- How to optimize your circadian rhythm (~13:09 )
- How to know if you need a light box (~18:57 )
- How to prevent jet lag while traveling (~24:19 )
- The issue with melatonin supplements (~32:43 )
- How to set yourself up for a good night’s sleep (~35:05 )
- Aric’s sleep basics checklist (~37:32 )
- How to shut off your mind before bed (~41:30 )
- Why you should create a sleep sanctuary (~47:04 )
- How to fall back asleep after waking up in the middle of the night (~49:40 )
- How laying in bed can be productive (~56:08 )
- The biggest misconceptions about sleep (~58:00 )
- Exciting developments in the science of sleep (~1:00:38 )
- The benefits of sticking your head in the freezer (~1:04:07 )
Referenced in the episode:
- Aric's book, The Sleep Prescription: Seven Days to Unlocking Your Best Rest.
- A study on short sleep duration & dementia risk.
- A study on the glymphatic system.
- A study on meditation changing brainwaves.
- A study on familial short sleepers.
We hope you enjoy this episode, and feel free to watch the full video on Youtube! Whether it's an article or podcast, we want to know what we can do to help here at mindbodygreen. Let us know at: email@example.com.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices