455: How to prevent & reverse dementia | Psychiatrist Kat Toups, M.D.
Kat Toups, M.D.: “Retirement is actually considered a risk factor for dementia.”
Kat, a functional medicine psychiatrist, joins mbg co-CEO, Jason Wachob, to discuss her daily tips to prevent cognitive decline, plus:
- Kat’s personal brain health journey (~00:15 )
- Why dementia is not a death sentence (~05:43 )
- Reasons why dementia happens (~08:37 )
- The link between oral health & Alzheimer’s (~14:03 )
- The optimal diet to prevent cognitive decline (~20:03 )
- Why the medical community has resisted lifestyle interventions (~25:23 )
- How to meditate & exercise to prevent dementia (~27:11 )
- How the amyloid hypothesis leads us astray (~34:27 )
- How dancing can reduce cognitive decline (~37:22 )
- How to train your brain & stay sharp as you age (~38:34 )
- Kat’s top daily tips to prevent cognitive decline (~39:44 )
- The link between hearing loss & dementia (~43:47 )
- How hormone therapy can enhance your brain health (~49:07 )
- How to detox your brain from heavy metals (~51:48 )
- How to test your toxins (~57:12 )
Referenced in the episode:
- Find Kat's e-book on dementiademystified.com.
- A study on oral health & dementia.
- Kat's dementia study in which 84% of patients got better.
- mbg Podcast episode #440, with Dale Bredesen, M.D.
- A study on going keto & mental health.
- A study on tango dancing & dementia.
- Luminosity & BrainHQ.
- Read the amyloid study & how it may be falsified.
- A Stanford study on hormone therapy & dementia.
- A study on saunas & brain health.
Take 30% off all supplements and personal care products with code MBG30, and score a free vitamin C potency+ on orders over $150. Apply code at checkout.
We hope you enjoy this episode, and feel free to watch the full video on Youtube! Whether it's an article or podcast, we want to know what we can do to help here at mindbodygreen. Let us know at: email@example.com.