457: How to time your meals & optimize metabolism | Nutrition scientist Courtney Peterson, Ph.D.
Courtney Peterson, Ph.D.: “Your blood sugar control is best in the mid to late morning.”
Courtney, a nutrition scientist and internationally recognized researcher in the field of intermittent fasting, joins mbg co-CEO, Jason Wachob, to discuss meal timing for your metabolism, plus:
- Courtney’s background as a nutrition scientist (~00:16 )
- The benefits of a time-restricted eating window (~05:20 )
- The best eating window for longevity (~08:47 )
- Why you shouldn’t skip breakfast (~10:19 )
- The connection between time-restricted eating & better sleep (~19:14 )
- How many meals you should eat in a day (~26:14 )
- How much protein, carbs, and fat you should eat in a day (~27:16 )
- How to practice time-restricted eating without losing muscle mass (~28:34 )
- How many days a week you should fast to see benefits (~30:51 )
- Courtney’s personal time-restricted eating window (~34:02 )
- How daylight savings affects our circadian rhythms (~35:13 )
- How to practice time-restricted eating if you work a night shift (~38:06 )
- Why time-restricted eating works better than fad diets (~41:45 )
- The benefits of a fasting-mimicking diet (~43:58 )
- How much protein you need for muscle mass & longevity (~47:10 )
- Why time-restricted eating works better than longer fasts (~49:40 )
- The future of intermittent fasting (~51:52 )
Referenced in the episode:
- Learn more about Courtney and her research.
- Eric Ravussin's study on calorie restriction.
- A 2012 study on time-restricted eating.
- A study on eating lunch earlier vs. later.
- Courtney's study on time-restricted eating in men with prediabetes.
- Kevin Hall's processed food study.
- A study on exercising before breakfast.
- A study on time-restricted eating and night shift work.
- A study on a fasting-mimicking diet and cancer.
Take 25% off vitamin D3 potency+ with code D3POD. Cannot combine with gift cards or other discount codes. Apply code at checkout.
We hope you enjoy this episode, and feel free to watch the full video on YouTube! Whether it's an article or podcast, we want to know what we can do to help here at mindbodygreen. Let us know at: firstname.lastname@example.org.