459: How to understand & heal your trauma | Gabor Maté, M.D.
Gabor Maté, M.D.: “95% of trauma is multi-generational. You unwittingly pass it on.”
Gabor, a physician, New York Times bestselling author, and internationally renowned speaker, joins mbg co-CEO, Jason Wachob, to discuss how buried trauma can harm your health, plus:
- Gabor’s upbringing & his professional work around trauma (~00:42 )
- What trauma really means (~05:07 )
- Gabor’s personal experience with trauma (~10:18 )
- How trauma gets passed down from one generation to the next (~12:47 )
- How your personal trauma can affect your physical health (~17:20 )
- The relationship between stress and illness (~20:51 )
- How to start resolving your trauma (~27:53 )
- Why so many people have a hard time saying “no” (~31:39 )
- The real reason children start resenting their parents (~34:10 )
- Why you don’t actually have to socialize kids (~39:19 )
- How our culture makes us sick (~44:00 )
- What’s unique about our cultural trauma today (~47:04 )
- What we can do about a lack of social connection (~48:40 )
- Why we attract others with similar traumas (~52:09 )
Trigger warning: This podcast includes mentions of suicidal ideation. You're never alone. If you or someone you know are struggling, call the Suicide & Crisis Lifeline at 988 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.
Referenced in the episode:
- Gabor's latest book, The Myth Of Normal.
- Gabor's previous bestsellers, Hold On To Your Kids, When The Body Says No, In The Realm Of Hungry Ghosts, and Scattered Minds.
- A study on childhood trauma & adult illnesses.
- A study on self-silencing during conflict & mortality.
- A study on loneliness & mortality.
- Read more about Jean-Martin Charcot.
- Sign up for The Long Game.
We hope you enjoy this episode, and feel free to watch the full video on YouTube! Whether it's an article or podcast, we want to know what we can do to help here at mindbodygreen. Let us know at: email@example.com.