460: What to eat every day for a longer life | Blue Zones founder Dan Buettner
Dan Buettner: “People who have at least 3 friends they can count on on a bad day live about 8 years longer than people who are completely isolated.”
Dan, a longevity expert, National Geographic fellow, and founder of the Blue Zones, joins mbg co-CEO, Jason Wachob, to discuss joy, social connection, and underrated longevity foods, plus:
- Dan’s Blue Zones work in the past year (~00:47 )
- Dan’s journey to find “lost” foods (~02:46 )
- Why processed food is often cheaper to make (~06:02 )
- How individuals can help change the food system (~11:29 )
- The role of joy & social connection in longevity (~16:40 )
- The richest food cultures in America (~22:38 )
- Nutrient-dense “superfoods” for longevity (~27:58 )
- How much meat you should eat per week (~33:07 )
- Healthy foods that have been largely ignored in America (~37:30 )
- Why we should prioritize the alternative standard American diet (~40:31 )
Referenced in the episode:
- Dan's newest book, The Blue Zones American Kitchen.
- Dan's previous book, The Blue Zones Challenge.
- Follow Dan on Instagram.
- mbg Podcast episodes #356, #298, #157, and #33, with Dan.
- mbg Podcast episode #365, with Mark Schatzker.
- mbg Podcast episodes #411, #293, and #29, with Mark Sisson.
- The Roseto study.
- The Adventist health study.
- Sign up for The Long Game.
Take 20% off our holiday collection with code HOLIDAY20. Cannot combine with gift cards or other discount codes. Apply code at checkout.
We hope you enjoy this episode, and feel free to watch the full video on YouTube! Whether it's an article or podcast, we want to know what we can do to help here at mindbodygreen. Let us know at: firstname.lastname@example.org.