463: Is exercise more important than nutrition? | Food writer Anastacia Marx de Salcedo
Anastacia Marx de Salcedo: “Let exercise be thy medicine.”
Anastacia, a nonfiction writer and author, joins mbg co-CEO, Jason Wachob, to discuss how regular exercise has the ability to transform your health, even if you subscribe to a not-so-balanced eating plan. For the record, we still believe that health begins on one’s plate—but exercise may be way more important than we thought. In this episode, they cover:
- Anastacia’s personal health journey (~00:58 )
- Anastacia’s personal nutrition philosophy (~06:14 )
- The military’s influence around food shelf-life (~08:43 )
- Why exercise is the ultimate elixir for health (~13:20 )
- The most reasonably healthy processed foods (~20:00 )
- Why nutrition science is not as concrete as we thought (~22:58 )
- Why we shouldn’t overlook exercise for overall well-being (~34:10 )
- How exercise benefits every function of the body (~39:02 )
- The ultimate exercise diet (~43:05 )
- What we can learn from studies on cats & bats (~45:25 )
- Why traditional doctors don’t talk enough about exercise & nutrition (~56:49 )
- How Anastacia ranks exercise, nutrition, and lifestyle habits (~01:04:08 )
- How Anastacia uses running as a tool for self-care (~01:09:30 )
- Anastacia’s biggest wellness pet peeve (~01:12:01 )
- How exercise has helped Anastacia’s MS journey (~01:14:09 )
- How to exercise your way out of a subpar diet (~01:16:54 )
- Sex differences on the impact of physical activity (~01:20:00 )
Referenced in the episode:
- Anastacia's book, Eat Like a Pig, Run Like a Horse.
- Anastacia's previous book, Combat-Ready Kitchen.
- Check out Anastacia's website.
- Read more about Ancel Keys & the link between diet & heart disease.
- Glenn Gaesser's BMI study.
- Learn more about The Jackson Laboratory.
- A study on fitness level & COVID outcomes.
- The Molecular Transducers of Physical Activity Consortium (MoTrPAC).
- mbg Podcast episode #192 with Terry Wahls, M.D.
- Sign up for The Long Game.
Take 20% off our holiday collection with code HOLIDAY20. Cannot combine with gift cards or other discount codes. Apply code at checkout.
We hope you enjoy this episode, and feel free to watch the full video on YouTube! Whether it's an article or podcast, we want to know what we can do to help here at mindbodygreen. Let us know at: email@example.com.