467: The new science of longevity | Psychologist Elissa Epel, Ph.D.
Order a copy of my new book The Joy Of Well-Being at thejoyofwellbeing.com!
Elissa Epel, Ph.D.: “Ritual is the foundation of relaxation.”
Elissa, an internationally renowned health psychologist and stress researcher, joins us to discuss science-backed, actionable tips to reduce your mental burden, plus:
- Elissa’s background & work at UCSF (~00:31 )
- The link between telomeres & longevity (~02:27 )
- How to increase telomere length (~05:42 )
- The best type of exercise for longevity (~09:22 )
- How hot & cold therapy can ease anxiety (~11:16 )
- The best diet for longevity & mental health (~14:31 )
- The connection between resistance training & healthy aging (~19:23 )
- How sleep plays a role in telomere length (~23:03 )
- How to measure your telomeres (~25:45 )
- How telomere length gets passed down by generation (~29:44 )
- Why you become more emotionally resilient as you age (~35:01 )
- How to “think” yourself younger (~36:34 )
- Why you should reframe how you think about stress (~41:00 )
- How to let go of control & manage stress (~42:28 )
- How to increase your resilience muscles (~43:25 )
- How prioritizing your time can reduce stress (~52:45 )
- How rituals can help you relax (~55:39 )
- Elissa’s daily stress-busting routine (~01:01:14 )
- The future of longevity & the mind-body connection (~01:03:01 )
- One thing you can do today to better manage stress (~01:06:45 )
Referenced in the episode:
- Elissa's book, The Stress Prescription.
- Elissa's previous book, The Telomere Effect.
- A study on aerobic exercise & reduced stress in caregivers.
- A study on omega-3's & telomere length.
- A study on body temperature & depression.
- Research on sauna bathing health benefits.
- Elissa's study on soda & telomeres.
- A study on sleep & telomere length.
- A study on passing on telomere length.
- A study on mindfulness training & moms.
- A study on self-silencing & mortality.
- mbg Podcast episode #389, with Jennifer Heisz, Ph.D.
- mbg Podcast episode #453, with Aric Prather, Ph.D.
- Aric's book, The Sleep Prescription.
- mbg Podcast episode #459, with Gabor Maté, M.D.
- mbg Podcast episode #397, with Becca Levy, Ph.D.
- mbg Podcast episodes #411, #293, and #29, with Mark Sisson.
- Learn more about the John W. Brick Foundation.
- Learn more about telomere testing.
- Check out mbg's sleep support+.
- Sign up for The Long Game.
Take 20% off metabolism+ with code BOOST20. Cannot combine with gift cards or other discount codes. Apply code at checkout.
We hope you enjoy this episode, and feel free to watch the full video on YouTube! Whether it's an article or podcast, we want to know what we can do to help here at mindbodygreen. Let us know at: email@example.com.