469: Has the wellness industrial complex gone too far? | Maya Feller, R.D.
Order a copy of my new book The Joy Of Well-Being at thejoyofwellbeing.com!
Maya Feller, R.D.: “There's so much space for slowing down and prioritizing rest without guilt and shame.”
Maya, a registered dietitian and cookbook author, joins us to discuss all the diverse, nourishing dishes that come from across the globe, plus:
- Maya’s background & nutrition career (~00:20 )
- Why our country is in a health crisis (~10:03 )
- Why aren’t we teaching kids about proper nutrition? (~13:42 )
- Why BMI is inherently flawed (~19:41 )
- Why so many people still eat so unhealthy (~22:14 )
- Why “adding” instead of “limiting” is a better way forward (~25:40 )
- The CGM shortage & why it’s a major problem (~28:59 )
- Where the wellness industry complex went wrong (~33:05 )
- How to cut through iffy nutrition trends (~36:14 )
- Processed foods versus ultra-processed foods (45:16 )
- Is it problematic that institutions fund nutrition studies? (50:09 )
- How to make wellness feel a lot less shame-y (~57:24 )
- Why traditional cooking methods are often healthier (~59:58 )
- Standout foods from around the world we should all be eating (~01:04:28 )
- Maya’s go-to recipe when she’s stretched for time (~01:08:07 )
- The link between flavor & health (~01:09:17 )
- Why we should welcome disagreement in the health space (~01:10:43 )
Referenced in the episode:
- Maya's book, Eating From Our Roots.
- mbg Podcast episode #232 and #162, with Maya.
- Read the guidance on childhood obesity by the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- mbg Podcast episode #445, with Scott Galloway.
- A NY Times article discussing what makes content go viral.
- News that the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics was receiving funding and investing in companies that create ultra-processed food.
- Sign up for our health coaching program.
- mbg Podcast episode #413, #362, and #222, with Jeff Bland, Ph.D.
- Sign up for The Long Game.
We hope you enjoy this episode, and feel free to watch the full video on YouTube! Whether it's an article or podcast, we want to know what we can do to help here at mindbodygreen. Let us know at: email@example.com.