485: What we’re still getting wrong about weight loss | Functional dietitian Michelle Shapiro, R.D.
“Our standard of what is healthy has declined," says Michelle Shapiro, R.D.
Michelle, a functional dietitian, joins us to discuss all of her nutrition tips to reduce anxiety, optimize hunger hormones, and improve digestion, plus:
- Michelle’s background & weight loss journey (~01:51 )
- How to lose weight in a healthy way (~05:37 )
- How to know if your hunger hormones are off (~07:05 )
- What we’re still getting wrong about weight loss (~12:30 )
- How to eat to reduce anxiety (~17:01 )
- How to know if you have a gut issue (~19:36 )
- The dichotomy between intuitive eating & diet culture (~24:51 )
- How Ayurveda & traditional Chinese medicine influence her practice (~33:43 )
- Michelle’s top tips to enhance digestion (~35:55 )
- The link between hydration & hunger (~39:55 )
- How to support & detox your liver (~42:12 )
- Why you shouldn’t take nutrition studies at face value (~52:26 )
- The middle ground between body positivity & functional nutrition (~59:11 )
- How to reduce acid reflux (~01:03:10 )
- Michelle’s top 5 healing foods (~01:04:43 )
- How to take a personalized approach to nutrition (~01:11:29 )
Trigger warning: This podcast contains mentions of disordered eating.
Referenced in the episode:
- Michelle's podacst, Quiet the Diet.
- mbg Podcast episode #466, with Don Layman, Ph.D.
- mbg Podcast episode #436, with Gabrielle Lyon, D.O.
- Listen to Michelle's episode on Gabrielle's podcast.
- A study on weight regain among Biggest Loser contestants.
- A study on dietitians & disordered eating.
- A study on fat consumption & mortality risk.
- Shop LMNT.
- Sign up for The Long Game.
- Learn more about the Vitamix FoodCycler Eco 5.
Order a copy of my new book The Joy Of Well-Being at thejoyofwellbeing.com!
We hope you enjoy this episode, and feel free to watch the full video onYouTube! Whether it's an article or podcast, we want to know what we can do to help here at mindbodygreen. Let us know at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices