486: How to live to 100 — and actually enjoy it | Sara Gottfried, M.D. & Colleen Wachob
Attention listeners: We have been getting so much wrong about longevity.
After all, what's the point of living to 100 if you're not being joyful?
In celebration of our new book, The Joy Of Well-Being, integrative medicine doctor and four-time New York Times bestselling author Sara Gottfried, M.D., interviews Colleen and I about the wellness myths we see all the time and the simple longevity tips that have changed our lives. In this special episode, we cover:
- What we've never shared about our fertility journey (~01:35 )
- Colleen’s experience with a near-catastrophic pulmonary embolism (~09:11 )
- How do you know when it’s time to change your life (~14:37 )
- How to separate the fundamentals & accessories of well-being (~20:16 )
- Why Colleen & I decided to write a book together (~24:33 )
- How to discover the “doc stars” on social media (~28:06 )
- How social connection can save your life (~31:44 )
- How to exercise for longevity (~34:15 )
- The importance of protein & building muscle mass (~36:20 )
- Why love is the best drug (~41:39 )
- What you can do today for better social connections (~44:57 )
- The difference between wellness & well-being (~50:22 )
- How spirituality can reduce your risk for depression (~53:00 )
- Why we need more nuance in the health space (~54:10 )
Referenced in the episode:
- A study on isolation & mortality.
- A study on musculoskeletal health, falls & mortality.
- The Roseto study.
- Research on spirituality & depression.
- An article on anger & virality.
- Episode #344, with Lisa Miller, Ph.D.
- Episode #346, with Esther Perel.
- Sign up for The Long Game.
- Learn more about the Vitamix FoodCycler Eco 5.
We hope you enjoy this episode, and feel free to watch the full video on YouTube! Whether it's an article or podcast, we want to know what we can do to help here at mindbodygreen. Let us know at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices