490: Longevity secrets from a 102-year-old doctor | Gladys McGarey, M.D.
“Disease and pain aren't our enemies. Our job is not to get rid of them but to learn from them," says Gladys McGarey, M.D.
Gladys, a 102-year-old board-certified integrative medicine doctor, joins us to discuss all of her her tried-and-true secrets for longevity, plus:
- Gladys’ personal & professional background (~02:13 )
- Why longevity doesn’t have to be complicated (~07:48 )
- Gladys’ six pillars of longevity (~09:29 )
- The power of mindset for longevity (~14:01 )
- How to overcome pain & trauma (~18:35 )
- How Gladys defines health (~20:14 )
- The connection between spirituality & healing (~22:35 )
- How we can overcome the loneliness epidemic (~24:15 )
- How lack of purpose sabotages your health (~27:52 )
- How Gladys overcomes adversity (~30:11 )
- What we should all do more of to live healthier lives (~31:40 )
- How to find your purpose (~34:18 )
- One thing everyone should do to promote longevity (~37:19 )
- What advice Gladys would give her younger self (~37:59 )
- What Gladys eats in a day (~38:50 )
- How Gladys met Gandhi (~39:48 )
- Why love is the greatest healer (~41:37 )
Order a copy of my new book The Joy Of Well-Being at thejoyofwellbeing.com!
Referenced in the episode:
- Gladys' book, The Well-Lived Life.
- Check out Gladys' website.
- mbg Podcast episode #344, with Lisa Miller, Ph.D.
- Lisa's research on spirituality & depression.
- Sign up for The Long Game.
We hope you enjoy this episode, and feel free to watch the full video on YouTube! Whether it's an article or podcast, we want to know what we can do to help here at mindbodygreen. Let us know at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices