494: Science-backed spiritual tools for longevity | Psychologist David DeSteno, Ph.D.
“The data shows that engagement in spiritual practices leads people to be healthier and live longer, happier lives," says David DeSteno, Ph.D.
David, a psychologist and professor at Northeastern University, joins us to discuss the science behind spiritual practices and how they can benefit our well-being, plus:
- How David defines spirituality (~03:07 )
- The science-backed health benefits of spirituality (~06:27 )
- The power of believing in something bigger than yourself (~09:54 )
- Why spirituality is just as important as exercise & nutrition (~12:49 )
- How organized prayer benefits your health (~14:52 )
- Why organized religion is declining (~18:57 )
- Why church should be more like Burning Man (~22:35 )
- Are fitness classes the new faith institutions? (~25:45 )
- Do fitness instructors have a greater responsibility? (~31:46 )
- Where spirituality meets AI technology (~34:06 )
- How to assess your spiritual health (~41:05 )
- Easy ways to flex your “soul muscles” (~43:00 )
- How meditation makes you nicer (~48:51 )
- Exciting research on psychedelics & spirituality (~52:14 )
- A spiritual lesson in grief (~55:35 )
- What to say to someone who rejects spirituality (~01:01:56 )
Referenced in the episode:
- David's podcast, How God Works.
- David's piece in the Wall Street Journal.
- David's study on motor synchrony.
- Molly Crockett's research on Burning Man.
- Casper te Kuile's research on fitness spaces fulfilling spiritual needs.
- David's meditation & compassion study.
- David's meditation & aggression study.
- David's ongoing gratitude study.
- Sign up for The Long Game.
We hope you enjoy this episode, and feel free to watch the full video onYouTube! Whether it's an article or podcast, we want to know what we can do to help here at mindbodygreen. Let us know at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices