495: The best lean muscle-building tips for women | Fitness coach & dietitian Holly Baxter
“The primary goal for anyone who wants to focus on fat loss—not lean tissue loss—is to maintain your muscle. So resistance training needs to be the priority," says Holly Baxter.
Holly, an accredited practicing dietitian, competitive bodybuilder, and fitness coach, joins us to discuss how to build the ultimate exercise program, plus:
- Holly’s background & professional work (~00:05 )
- Why Holly works primarily with women (~04:15 )
- Why some people lose muscle mass on Ozempic (~10:37 )
- How to lose weight without losing muscle (~11:56 )
- How to build lean muscle in 30 minutes per day (~16:41 )
- How to get an intense workout with just your body weight (~27:54 )
- Why women should exercise with blood flow restriction (~32:48 )
- How long you should recover between exercises (~36:33 )
- How many reps is too many (~42:12 )
- How to organize your workouts throughout the week (~53:14 )
- How to balance cardio & strength training (~54:55 )
- How much protein you should eat before a workout (~59:51 )
- When to incorporate full-body training (~01:06:06 )
- The best time to eat protein post-workout (~01:07:32 )
- How women should train as they age (~01:11:44 )
Trigger warning: This podcast contains mentions of disordered eating.
Referenced in the episode:
- Check out Holly's website.
- Holly's new e-book.
- A study on HIIT & body mass.
- A study on isometric training & muscle growth.
- mbg Podcast episode #480, with Peter Attia, M.D.
- mbg Podcast episode #466, with Don Layman, Ph.D.
- Sign up for The Long Game.
Tale 15% off methylation support+ with code SUPPORT15. Cannot combine with gift cards or other discount codes. Apply code at checkout.
We hope you enjoy this episode, and feel free to watch the full video on YouTube! Whether it's an article or podcast, we want to know what we can do to help here at mindbodygreen. Let us know at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices