497: How to prevent dementia & heal trauma | Neuroscientist Caroline Leaf, Ph.D.
“Your mind is your life force," says Caroline Leaf, Ph.D.
Caroline, a cognitive neuroscientist, joins us to discuss her tips for a more resilient brain, plus:
- The biggest impact on mental health right now (~03:42 )
- Why younger people are struggling more with mental health (~07:25 )
- How to heal your inner child (~12:15 )
- How mindset impacts trauma healing (~15:54 )
- How to have a more resilient brain (~19:55 )
- Daily practices to strengthen your mind muscles (~23:21 )
- How your thoughts impact nutrient absorption (~28:03 )
- Caroline’s 5-step mind management process (~32:21 )
- The myth about forming long-term habits (~41:15 )
- How your brain functions in the morning vs. at night (~45:21 )
- How to enhance brain health as you age (~52:30 )
- The link between worry & dementia (~55:09 )
- What’s overrated & underrated for brain health (~01:01:49 )
- How to raise resilient, happy kids (~01:08:24 )
- How to calm a child down from a temper tantrum (~01:11:54 )
Trigger warning: This episode includes mentions of suicidal ideation. You’re never alone. If you or someone you know are struggling, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 988 or visit 988lifeline.org.
Referenced in the episode:
- Caroline's book, How to Help Your Child Clean Up Their Mental Mess.
- Episode #459, with Gabor Maté, M.D.
- Caroline's podcast.
- Research on a negative mindset & nutrient absorption.
- Download Caroline's Neurocycle app.
- Caroline's paper on mind management.
- Shop Caroline's coloring book & toy.
We hope you enjoy this episode, and feel free to watch the full video onYouTube! Whether it's an article or podcast, we want to know what we can do to help here at mindbodygreen. Let us know at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices