498: The silent issue affecting metabolism | Richard Johnson, M.D.
“For a long period of time, you can be losing kidney function and not know it," says Richard Johnson, M.D.
Richard, a board-certified internal medicine doctor, joins us to discuss why you should care about kidney health, plus:
- Richard’s background & professional work (~00:14 )
- How to assess your risk for kidney disease (~05:25 )
- The link between kidney health & metabolism (~07:09 )
- The best test to ask for at the doctor (~12:27 )
- How to eat for optimal kidney health (~18:13 )
- Why you shouldn’t demonize fruit (~21:06 )
- Why people on keto should pay attention to uric acid (~26:59 )
- How to prevent kidney stones (~33:37 )
- What you need to know about hydration & salt (~37:34 )
- How to find your hydration sweet spot (~46:17 )
Referenced in the episode:
- Richard's study on kidney disease in animals.
- A study on soup and sodium.
- A NIH paper on serum sodium levels.
- Richard's book, Nature Wants Us To Be Fat.
- See more of Richard's research on his website.
We hope you enjoy this episode, and feel free to watch the full video on YouTube! Whether it's an article or podcast, we want to know what we can do to help here at mindbodygreen. Let us know at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices