501: The dirty secrets of factory farming | 4th generation farmer Will Harris
“In agriculture, we have misused technology horribly, and it has yielded devastating, unintended consequences," says Will Harris.
Will, a fourth-generation farmer and owner of White Oak Pastures, joins us to discuss how we can rethink the agricultural system and live healthier lives, plus:
- Will’s background & how he started the farm (~00:11 )
- What is regenerative agriculture? (~02:54 )
- How Will responds to criticism of regenerative agriculture (~05:18 )
- Why the solution is not highly-processed, fake meat (~07:59 )
- Why is it hard to accelerate regenerative agriculture? (~11:48 )
- The problem with feedlot cows (~15:57 )
- The cost of producing grass-fed versus conventional beef (~19:28 )
- Why you should care about soil health (~25:40 )
- How to live a farm-like lifestyle wherever you reside (~30:59 )
- How to grow food in your own backyard (~35:44 )
- The role of technology in agriculture (~38:49 )
- How you can support regenerative farmers (~41:22 )
Referenced in the episode:
- Listen to Will on Joe Rogan Experience.
- Read more about Will on his website.
- Preorder Will's book, A Bold Return To Giving A Damn.
- Sign up for The Long Game.
We hope you enjoy this episode, and feel free to watch the full video on YouTube! Whether it's an article or podcast, we want to know what we can do to help here at mindbodygreen. Let us know at: email@example.com.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices