503: Underrated tips to live to 100+ | Longevity expert Dan Buettner
“Most of longevity, physical agility, and ongoing health is a result of unconscious behavior, not conscious behavior," says Dan Buettner.
Dan, a longevity expert, New York Times bestselling author, and founder of the Blue Zones, joins us to discuss underrated longevity tips, plus:
- How to drink alcohol mindfully (~00:12 )
- Why joy is crucial for longevity (~03:36 )
- The health benefits of volunteering (~06:20 )
- Why simplicity is the key to happiness (~09:17 )
- How to “forget to die” (~11:23 )
- Reverse ageism in the Blue Zones (~13:06 )
- The next place on Dan’s Blue Zones wish list (~16:05 )
- Why you should sit on the floor (~22:44 )
- Is pickleball good for longevity? (~28:30 )
- What we can learn from centenarians (~32:07 )
- Dan’s favorite Blue Zone (~34:10 )
- Dan’s POV on grass-fed meat (~38:02 )
- Dan’s upcoming research on healthspan (~42:14 )
Referenced in the episode:
- Dan's Netflix show, "Live To 100: Secrets Of The Blue Zones."
- A survey on Ikaria & alcohol consumption.
- Read Dan's excerpt on mbg.
- Read more about Singapore as the newest Blue Zone.
- A study on volunteering & health outcomes.
- A study on racket sports & longevity.
- Sign up for The Long Game.
We hope you enjoy this episode sponsored by Cotton, we love cotton because it’s a natural fiber grown straight from the earth. But also because it’s the common thread throughout our very best memories. Whether it’s that t-shirt you’ll never get rid of or the sheets you tuck into every night… We can always count on cotton for style, comfort, and durability. To learn more about this sustainable fiber, visit www.thefabricofourlives.com.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices