737: Winston Sterzel | Don't Lose Your Bacon in a Pig-Butchering Scam
Winston Sterzel (@serpentza) is a South African vlogger and video producer who lived in Shenzhen in the Guangdong province of China for 14 years. He hosts his own YouTube channel as SerpentZA and co-hosts vlog ADVChina with Laowhy86.
What We Discuss with Winston Sterzel:
- How does the pig-butchering scam work, and why is it called this?
- Who tends to be the most common target of the pig-butchering scam, and how has this changed since its inception?
- The psychological levers that get used to manipulate victims of the pig-butchering scam, and how they differ from more traditional scams.
- How much time and effort pig-butchering scammers will invest in fattening up their victims for the big kill (and how Winston has made a game of wasting their time and effort when he's been their mark).
- Warnings from people who have fallen for the pig-butchering scam and how you can avoid being next.
- And much more...
Full show notes and resources can be found here: jordanharbinger.com/737
Miss our two-parter with North Korean defector Charles Ryu? Catch up here starting with episode 84: Confessions of a North Korean Escape Artist Part One!
Like this show? Please leave us a review here -- even one sentence helps! Consider including your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!