83. Schizophrenia: A Mother’s Fight to Save her Son from Himself
Dajon was a true mama’s boy. His mother Michelle, a devoted single mom, adored him. When Dajon was 15 he started showing signs of mental illness. By the age of 18, his personality was disintegrating. He started hearing voices and even tried to jump off of an 11th floor building. After an official diagnosis of schizophrenia, Michelle did everything she could to get Dajon the help he needed to live a stable life. What are the options for a family seeking help from the system? We explore the promises and pitfalls of caring for the mentally ill, and the toll it can take on those who love them.
In this episode:
- Dajon’s entrance into the world.
- The initial indicators that Dajon was struggling with his mental health.
- Dajon is diagnosed with Schizophrenia.
- The trajectory of his mental health post diagnosis.
- Michelle receives devastating news.
- Dealing with the grief of losing her son and what brings her hope.
Links & Resources
- LinkedIn: Michelle Gonzales-Reed
- Personal Advocacy Website: My Beloved Dajon Website
- YouTube Channel: Let’s Talk with Dr. Michelle
- The Jed Foundation (JED) Resources:
- Challenging the System: One Woman’s Fight for Mental Health Reform, 5/16/22
- Let's Talk with Dr. Michelle Episode 1: Guests Mia St. John, and Katie Cunningham
Get episodes early, exclusive video content, live Zoom hangs with Kimi and the team, and more when you support the show. Join us and BECOME A MEMBER HERE!
Or contribute what you can by making a custom pledge.
Follow the show at @allthewiserpodcast on Instagram.
Keep the conversation going! Join our new Facebook group and connect with other listeners like you!
Stay in the know with all things All The Wiser! Sign up for our newsletter for personal reflections from Kimi, new episodes, and recommendations from our team!
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands
Privacy & Opt-Out: https://redcircle.com/privacy