ANTHOLOGY — It's a Cloud Native world
This is our last week of hallway track coverage at The Linux Foundation’s Open Source Summit North America 2023 in Vancouver, Canada. Today’s anthology episode features: Jeffrey Sica (Developer Experience & Programs @ CNCF), Eddie Zaneski (Kubernetes SIG CLI), Yaron Schneider (Co-creator of Dapr and Founder and CTO at Diagrid).
Special thanks to our friends at GitHub for sponsoring us to attend this conference as part of Maintainer Month.
Changelog++ members save 10 minutes on this episode because they made the ads disappear. Join today!
- Sentry – See the untested code causing errors - or whether it’s partially or fully covered - directly in your stack trace, so you can avoid similar errors from happening in the future. Use the code
CHANGELOGand get the team plan free for three months.
- Raycast – Raycast is a blazingly fast, totally extendable launcher. It lets you complete tasks, calculate, share common links, and much more. Turn Pro to harness the power of AI, make Raycast your own with custom themes, keep your Macs in sync and more on the way.
- Changelog News – A podcast+newsletter combo that’s brief, entertaining & always on-point. Subscribe today.
- GitHub – Harnessed for productivity. Designed for collaboration. Celebrated for built-in security. Welcome to the platform developers love.
- Jeffrey Sica – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
- Eddie Zaneski – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
- Yaron Schneider – Twitter, GitHub
- Adam Stacoviak – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00 ) - This week on The Changelog
(01:12 ) - Sponsor: Sentry
(05:21 ) - It's Jeefy!!
(06:51 ) - So what do you do (here)?
(07:50 ) - Office Space!
(08:51 ) - Jeefy supports all CNCF projects
(11:03 ) - What is the motivation of the CNCF?
(13:10 ) - Miss you Dan!
(13:27 ) - What's the End Game for CNCF?
(15:16 ) - Must have all Cloud Native OSS
(15:52 ) - This is like, my opinion, man.
(16:46 ) - Give the personal answer
(17:56 ) - Everyone wants to CNCF their thing
(20:13 ) - Do you like this job?
(21:48 ) - What do you like most?
(22:15 ) - I have impact and help
(22:43 ) - I make the hotel bed
(22:55 ) - The Endowment effect
(25:20 ) - What If...? No CNCF.
(27:30 ) - This interview is OVER!
(28:44 ) - Sponsor: Raycast
(32:39 ) - Working on the Kubernetes CLI
(33:48 ) - Kube Control (officially)!??
(34:59 ) - What should we know?
(35:13 ) - It's all Go
(35:26 ) - From Bash to Go
(35:48 ) - Thank you ChatGPT!
(36:37 ) - GPT flattened the world
(37:10 ) - How many flags??
(37:31 ) - Biggest challenge as a Maintainer?
(39:00 ) - Kubernetes is all JSON
(39:46 ) - The Go YAML world
(41:17 ) - New contributor challenges
(42:15 ) - Putting down the wisdom
(43:55 ) - How to become a contributor?
(45:01 ) - What brings someone back 3x?
(45:44 ) - Rewrite?
(47:46 ) - Could you learn from Linux?
(49:06 ) - Useful software gets upgraded
(50:24 ) - Could be a Yarn / NPM situation
(52:29 ) - CI bill is $3M a year!!
(54:05 ) - It's a Cloud Native world
(54:10 ) - Maintainer hacks
(55:47 ) - What is your day like?
(57:02 ) - Thanks for talking Eddie
(57:21 ) - Sponsor: Changelog News
(59:17 ) - Incubating in the CNCF
(1:00:10 ) - Started Dapr at Microsoft
(1:01:50 ) - Distributed systems problems
(1:02:57 ) - Is this a framework?
(1:04:28 ) - Dapr stack?
(1:05:11 ) - Escaping Microsoft
(1:07:10 ) - Start a Microsoft and exit to Founder
(1:08:07 ) - From "No" to "Yes"
(1:09:15 ) - Nice Logos
(1:10:40 ) - Why a managed Dapr?
(1:12:25 ) - The reluctant Founder journey
(1:15:26 ) - Competing on "Best managed service"
(1:16:30 ) - You're not Dapr, Inc.?
(1:17:31 ) - Parallels to Dapr?
(1:18:03 ) - Polyglot drawbacks
(1:19:02 ) - The future of Dapr
(1:19:49 ) - Up next!