Accelerated data science with a Kaggle grandmaster
Daniel and Chris explore the intersection of Kaggle and real-world data science in this illuminating conversation with Christof Henkel, Senior Deep Learning Data Scientist at NVIDIA and Kaggle Grandmaster. Christof offers a very lucid explanation into how participation in Kaggle can positively impact a data scientist’s skill and career aspirations. He also shared some of his insights and approach to maximizing AI productivity uses GPU-accelerated tools like RAPIDS and DALI.
Changelog++ members save 2 minutes on this episode because they made the ads disappear. Join today!
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com
- Fly.io – The home of Changelog.com — Deploy your apps and databases close to your users. In minutes you can run your Ruby, Go, Node, Deno, Python, or Elixir app (and databases!) all over the world. No ops required. Learn more at fly.io/changelog and check out the speedrun in their docs.
- Changelog++ – You love our content and you want to take it to the next level by showing your support. We’ll take you closer to the metal with extended episodes, make the ads disappear, and increment your audio quality with higher bitrate mp3s. Let’s do this!
- Christof Henkel – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
- Chris Benson – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Daniel Whitenack – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Christof Henkel | Kaggle
- NVIDIA Kaggle Grandmasters
- NVIDIA RAPIDS
- NVIDIA Data Loading Library (DALI)
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00 ) - Welcome to Practical AI
(00:41 ) - Christof Henkel
(01:57 ) - What is Kaggle?
(07:34 ) - How has Kaggle helped?
(09:38 ) - Deep Learning 5-6 years ago
(11:05 ) - What were the changes like?
(14:10 ) - Sponsor: Changelog++
(15:09 ) - How Kaggle compares to real life
(21:56 ) - Any Kaggle highlights?
(24:04 ) - How to climb the Kaggle ladder?
(26:39 ) - Accelerated GPUs in Kaggle
(30:25 ) - Speeding up my process
(34:37 ) - What comes up in the discussions?
(37:36 ) - Getting started
(41:06 ) - What's next for Christof
(42:57 ) - Outro