Dazzling New Allium Varieties - Episode 81
Alliums possess a bombastic silhouette that’s nothing short of iconic, and make a perfect addition to borders. While we’ve covered Alliums before on the podcast, there are a number of brand new varieties to rekindle your passion for them.
In this week’s ‘grow, cook, eat, arrange’, Sarah & Arthur shine a spotlight on the recent newcomers to the family, from the shuttlecock-like ‘Magic’ to the towering, 7ft figure of ‘Summer Drummer’.
In this episode, discover:
- The most exciting new Alliums, reminiscent of old favourites with uniquely dazzling qualities
- Classic varieties like Purple Sensation & Schubertii, which remain among Sarah & Arthur’s top picks
- A tip that Sarah picked up from Clarissa Dickson Wright on chopping onions
- Growing leek as a handsome flower, rather than purely as an edible plant
- Planning ahead to Christmas, and preparing to adorn your tree with Alliums