EBB 237 - Infant Feeding and Meeting your Community where they're at with Family Nurse Practitioner and IBCLC Nikki Hunter-Greenaway
On today’s podcast, we’re going to talk with Nikki Hunter-Greenaway, Nurse Practitioner and IBCLC, about the formula shortage this year and meeting your community at where they are to provide the concierge reproductive health care they deserve.
Nikki Hunter-Greenaway, AKA, Nurse Nikki is a board-certified family nurse practitioner and International Board Certified Lactation Consultant. Nikki is the proud owner of Bloom Maternal Health, which provides Telehealth and house calls to pregnant and postpartum families in both Texas and Louisiana.
In 2018, she co-founded the New Orleans Breastfeeding Center and Café au Lait Breastfeeding Circle for families of color, and co-founded Nikki and Nikki Lactation Career Consultants to help Black, Indigenous, and People of Color demystify the path to becoming an IBCLC. Her goal is to improve maternal health outcomes through community education, peer mentorship, and patient-centered care.
We will talk about challenges and insights Nurse Nikki experienced during her journey to becoming a lactation consultant. We also talk about cultural barriers in lactation, the importance of meeting folks where they are, and the effects of the formula shortage on the communities she serves.
Content warning: We will discuss the cultural barriers and in the field of lactation, gendered language (breastfeeding), plus mentions of historical trauma, horizontal violence, formula shortage, maternal mortality rates, infant mortality rates, abortion, postpartum depression, classism, Black maternal disparities, and racism.
- Nikki's FNP and IBCLC practice: Nurse Niki NP
- Cafe au Lait in New Orleans
- Follow Nikki on Instagram @nursenikkinp and on YouTube at "Nurse Nikki NP"
- EBB 189 – Why Black Lactation Matters and the Importance of Black Breastfeeding Week with IBCLC, Janiya Mitnaul Williams
- WHO International Code of Marketing of Breast - Milk Substitutes
- Go to our YouTube channel to see video versions of YouTube episodes you listed above!!
For more information and news about Evidence Based Birth®, visit www.ebbirth.com.
Find us on:
- Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/ebbirth/ ),
- TikTok (https://www.tiktok.com/@ebbirth), and
- Pinterest (https://www.pinterest.com/ebbirth/ ).
Ready to get involved?
- Check out our Professional membership (including scholarship options) (https://evidencebasedbirth.com/become-pro-member/ ).
- Apply to be an EBB Instructor here (https://www.evidencebasedbirth.com/instructor )
- Click here (https://evidencebasedbirth.com/childbirth-class/ ) to learn more about the Evidence Based Birth® Childbirth Class