EBB 238 - Black Fatherhood and Fighting Anti-Black Racism with Brandon Diggs Williams, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
On today’s podcast, we’re going to talk with Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Brandon Diggs Williams (he/him), BSW, MSW, LCSW, about Black fatherhood, parenting in partnership, self-care, and fighting anti-Black racism.
Mr. Williams currently works full-time at the Durham VA Medical Center (DVAMC), providing individual, couples, and (primarily) group therapy through the VA. He specializes in personal/spiritual development, transformative thinking, and cultural competency with a focus on the Black community.
Mr. Williams is involved in multiple efforts that contribute to ally-ship, diversity and inclusion, and anti-Black racism efforts at the departmental and facility level at the Durham VA. He created, developed, and facilitates “The Invisible Struggle” therapeutic group which focuses on providing clinical mental health care for veterans dealing with stress unique to Black people in America. And serves on multiple boards/teams at the DVAMC including: The Antiracism and Black Equity Advisory Board, the Diversity and Inclusion Workgroup, and the Social Work Service Social Justice Committee. He created and leads a community organization called “Lion Tamers” that is dedicated to the holistic development of Black men.
In this episode, we talk about Mr. William’s balance of self-care, and self-awareness in the changing family dynamic, and the partnership between he and his wife.
Content Warning: We mention anti-Black racism, internalized racism, and Christian beliefs related to gender roles.
This podcast is also posted on our YouTube channel in case you want to access the video.
- EBB 145 – Fatherhood and Advocacy in Birth with JaMichael Perryman
- EBB 189 - Why Black Lactation Matters and the Importance of Black Breastfeeding Week with IBCLC, Janiya Mitnaul Williams
- Go to our YouTube channel to see video versions of the YouTube episodes listed above!!
- Follow Brandon Diggs Williams on Instagram @thediggsmethod
- You are The Best Thing by Tarana Burke and Brené Brown
- White Fragility by Dr. Robin DiAngelo
- Key & Peele - Black Ice Video
- Jane Elliot Experiment - PBS - Frontline - “A Class Divided”
- Me and White Supremacy by Layla F. Saad
- The Mis-Education of the Negro by Dr. Carter G. Woodson
- The Unapologetic Guide to Black Mental Health by Dr. Rheeda Walker, PhD
For more information and news about Evidence Based Birth®,
- Visit www.ebbirth.com
- Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/ebbirth/ )
- Pinterest (https://www.pinterest.com/ebbirth/ )
- Ready to get involved? Check out our Professional membership (including scholarship options) (https://evidencebasedbirth.com/become-pro-member/ ).
- Find an EBB Instructor here (https://evidencebasedbirth.com/find-an-instructor-parents/ ), and click here (https://evidencebasedbirth.com/childbirth-class/) to learn more about the Evidence Based Birth® Childbirth Class.