EBB 266 - Advocating for your Newborn during an Unexpected NICU Stay with EBB Childbirth Class Graduates Priscilla and Nathan Layman
On this episode of the EBB Podcast, we talked with EBB Childbirth Class Graduates, Priscilla and Nathan Layman about how the Evidence Based Birth® Childbirth Class prepared them for a home birth and their unexpected hospital transfer with a NICU stay.
Nathan and Priscilla are happy parents who live and work in San Antonio, Texas. Nathan is a pipeline engineer and Priscilla splits her time between caring for their 19-month-old daughter and providing part-time psychotherapy services, as a licensed clinical psychologist.
Join us as Nathan and Priscilla share their experience learning advocacy skills reviewed in the EBB Childbirth class and how they were used during their daughter’s unexpected NICU stay after their homebirth transfer. We also talk about their birth experience during the COVID-19 pandemic and how empowered they felt with their support team in birth and postpartum.
Content Warnings: 911 call, emergency transfer to the hospital for low oxygen state in a newborn, respiratory support for an infant in a neonatal intensive care stay.
- Access EBB's Signature Article on The Evidence on: Waterbirth here
- Learn more about Deborah Persyn and Leche and Mimi lactation services here
- Find the book Bringing Home Baby and other resources by Gottman here
- Learn more about Lea-ann Goettsch's Evidence Based Birth Childbirth class and other services here
- Bovbjerg, M.L., Cheyney, M., Caughey, A. B. (2022). “Maternal and neonatal outcomes following waterbirth: a cohort study of 17,530 waterbirths and 17,530 propensity score-matched land births.” BJOG 129 (6): 950-958.https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34773367/
Go to our YouTube channel to see video versions of the episodes listed above!!
For more information and news about Evidence Based Birth®, visit www.ebbirth.com.
Find us on:
Ready to get involved?
Download from Google Play
Download from App Store