EBB 268 - Debunk the Myths of Premature Rupture of Membranes, GBS, & Waterbirth with EBB Founder, Dr. Rebecca Dekker
On today’s podcast, we will be sharing with you an excerpt from a live webinar featuring Dr. Rebecca Dekker all about debunking the myths of Premature Rupture of Membranes, GBS, & Waterbirth.
- The Updated Evidence on Premature Rupture of Membranes - There are two new meta-analyses on GBS-- but they have limitations and cannot be applied to countries that screen and treat GBS. New guidelines are included from ACNM, ACOG & the Association of Ontario Midwives.
- The myths on GBS - We review what the microbiome is, the influence of probiotics, and why antibiotics are used.
- How Waterbirth can be used for labor - We covered the differences in association guidelines of waterbirth, as well as, reviewed the significant results for the risks and benefits of waterbirth from the largest and highest-quality study on waterbirth to date!
This is podcast breaks down the topics for parents and professionals to be informed and empowered!
- For lecture handouts from the webinar, click here: https://evidencebasedbirth.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/GBS-PROM-Waterbirth-Webinar-April-2023-for-Handout.pdf
- Evidence on Premature Rupture of Membranes https://evidencebasedbirth.com/evidence-inducing-labor-water-breaks-term/
- Evidence on Group B Strep: https://evidencebasedbirth.com/groupbstrep/
- Evidence on Inducing for Due Dates https://evidencebasedbirth.com/evidence-on-inducin...
- Evidence on Waterbirth https://evidencebasedbirth.com/waterbirth/
- EBB 261 – Mini Q&A on Group B Strep
Association of Ontario Midwives on PROM: https://www.ontariomidwives.ca/prom-term
Full list of References can be found on our blog post here.
Go to our YouTube channel to see video versions of the episode listed above!!
For more information and news about Evidence Based Birth®, visit www.ebbirth.com.
Find us on:
Ready to get involved?
- Check out our Professional membership (including scholarship options) here
- Find an EBB Instructor here
- Click here to learn more about the Evidence Based Birth® Childbirth Class.
Content warning: We will mention labor, medical interventions (i.e. antibiotics, epidural), hospital transfer, waterbirth, pain, premature rupture of membranes, gendered language, medications in labor, vaginal/pelvic birth, Group B Strep, inductions, cervical exams