Ep. 156: Science of Reading Beyond Phonics: Vocabulary Instruction with a Grade 5 Teacher
Ever thought about the power of words? Join us as we discuss our most requested topic of all time: vocabulary. We have a special guest, fifth-grade teacher Sean Morrisey. We discuss Tier 2 and 3 vocabulary words and discuss how you can strategically select words to teach using research-based approaches.
We also share the importance of continuously embedding words into language throughout the day and using data to measure improvement. Lastly, we bridge the connection between vocabulary and fluency, demonstrating how it impacts performance. By the end of this episode, you'll feel inspired to transform your vocabulary instructional approach in your classroom, one word at a time.
- Academic Word Finder Achieve the Core
- Which Words Do I Teach and How? Article by David Liben
- Lifelong Literacy, Lyn Stone
- Explicit Instruction, Anita Archer
- Bringing Words to Life, book
- The Writing Revolution, book
- Text Project Vocabulary Instruction
- Word Generation Serp Institute
- Word Sift
- Coxhead Academic Word List
Connect with us
Don't miss an episode! Sign up for FREE bonus resources and episode alerts at LiteracyPodcast.com
Helping teachers learn about science of reading, knowledge building, and high quality curriculum.