878: Freestyle Friday | What Comedy Can Teach Us About Ourselves
In this Freestyle Friday episode of Travis Makes Friends, I'm talking all about my recent comedy show experiences and how they got me thinking about developing a thicker skin. I discuss the value of free speech and being exposed to controversial opinions and humor we might disagree with. I believe it can actually help us mature and have more thoughtful, open conversations if we don't get so easily offended. I stress the importance of taking personal responsibility for our own reactions rather than trying to control what others say. I also examine why offensive things can get such a visceral reaction from us and how that reveals more about our own beliefs than anything else. I end by emphasizing that to find community and camaraderie, we have to be willing to interact with all different kinds of people, even "assholes." It's an insightful episode about the personal growth that comes from free speech and the risks required to make meaningful connections.
In this episode:
- How comedy helps develop maturity and thicker skin: By being exposed to different perspectives and ideas, even controversial ones, we learn not to be so easily offended. This helps us have more open conversations.
- Why free speech is important: Interacting with different ideas, even incorrect ones, helps us determine what is actually correct. Trying to silence others just breeds anger and won't work. We can't control others, only ourselves.
- The importance of personal responsibility: We are responsible for our own reactions and feelings, not others. If something offends us, it's on us to mature and develop thicker skin.
- The reason behind visceral reaction: When we have strong gut reactions to something offensive, it's a sign we need to examine our own beliefs and morals, not try to control others.
- Paying the "asshole tax" to make connections: To build relationships and find community, we have to accept the risk of encountering some "assholes." It's a tax we pay for the reward of meaningful bonds.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our Youtube Channel, @travismakesfriends
Follow Travis on:
Twitter 👉🏻 twitter.com/traviscchappell
Pinterest 👉🏻 pinterest.com/travischappellpod
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices