How to Use Values to Create a Brave Company Culture, Inclusivity & Belonging with Johanna Lyman
Every business has a company culture. Culture impacts everything from employee performance and engagement to how your company is perceived by your customers.
In this podcast episode, Tania speaks with a culture and leadership development expert about her entrepreneurial journey, and how her longing to belong led to a career of helping companies build Brave Cultures based on the principles of conscious capitalism that encourages inclusivity and belonging.
Johanna Lyman is the Principal Consultant and Practice Leader for Culture and Inclusion at Kadabra. She helps small companies get to their next level of success, build a culture that supports sustainable profitability, and develop their teams to their highest potential. She has helped thousands of people all over the world build the business of their dreams and step into being the leader they’ve been called to be. She is a certified coach and business development expert with more than fifteen years of experience helping executives, consultants, and business owners build and develop successful businesses.
Prior to starting her own business in January 2005, Johanna was a CFP(R) at Merrill Lynch, a Divisional Vice President of Sales at Warnaco during the peak of their success, and she had a 10-year career working up the corporate ladder at Filene’s Department Stores, a division of May Co. She’s a Certified Change Management Specialist and Six Sigma Lean Professional (Green Belt).
She has spoken at conferences such as the HR.com annual conference, Sustainatopia, ISC2 (internet security and compliance), and Chico State’s This Way to Sustainability conference, and the WOW Conference for Women. She has also spoken at meetings like the International Council for Small Business Development, the Capital Club San Jose, the Natural Healers Network, the Awareness Network, Women For Change Coaching Community, Mastery for Women, Rhode Island SHRM, and at her own live events.
And people don't always realize this, but culture is going to happen in an organization, whether you plan it or not. But when you don't plan for it, it ends up being one of those companies that I worked with that I had to escape from, because it's not good. It's not values aligned. People don't feel respected. They don't feel appreciated. They don't feel like they belong." - Johanna Lyman
We discuss in this episode with Johanna:
- How Johanna's story of belonging is what drives her to help leaders build inclusive cultures for companies. (3:45 )
- Why Johanna decided to become an entrepreneur. (9:17 )
- A different view on Maslow's hierarchy of needs with belonging at the bottom of the needs pyramid. (10:36 )
- Advice on how entrepreneurs can find a like-minded community for support using values alignment. (15:03 )
- What conscious capitalism means and what it looks like for business owners. (16:30 )
- Why culture happens in an organization whether you plan for it or not. (17:58 )
- Why knowing your purpose, or why, matters. (19:00 )
- The role of self-awareness when building culture and how to measure if you're actually being self-aware as a leader. (21:51 )
- How self-awareness grows with self-reflection. (23:08 )
- What it means for a business to have a brave culture and why it's a must for a purpose-driven company. (24:29 )
- Tips on how you can start to be more inclusive as a business owner. (25:57 )
- The most challenging part for entrepreneurs during this process to become more conscious. (27:54 )
- How to connect your core values with specific action steps in your company. (29:02 )
- How to measure the effectiveness of your company culture and its values with a scorecard. (30:28 )
- How COVID-19 is an opportunity for entrepreneurs to make collaborative decisions with team members and employees. (31:47 )
- The mindsets Johanna believes give her the advantage to do meaningful work that creates a positive impact. (35:10 )
- How to connect with Johanna. (36:40 )
Full show notes, the transcript, resources and how you can connect with Johanna, can be found here: https://www.startingadvantage.com/37
Enjoyed this episode? Heard something useful? Let us know!
- Please leave a review to support the show on your favourite podcast player.
- Please share this episode with a friend who can benefit from it.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.