Is Our Winter COVID Wave Coming? (with Katelyn Jetelina)
Despite some uptick in cases and hospitalizations, COVID is disrupting life less this winter compared to winters past. Why, and what does that mean as we enter 2023? Andy speaks with epidemiologist and ITB favorite Katelyn Jetelina, who offers an hypothesis for why new mutations are not wreaking havoc like Omicron did last year. She also breaks down the added dangers of flu and RSV and predicts the worldwide implications if China relaxes its zero COVID policies.
As an added bonus, today’s episode includes an important conversation from the "Voices From the Frontlines" series, featuring Donnie Nelson and Dr. Nona Yunzhu Mei discussing their work in palliative care and how their holistic approach guided them through the pandemic.
Keep up with Andy on Post and Twitter @ASlavitt.
Follow Katelyn Jetelina on Twitter @dr_kkjetelina.
Joining Lemonada Premium is a great way to support our show and get bonus content. Subscribe today at bit.ly/lemonadapremium.
Support the show by checking out our sponsors!
- CVS Health helps people navigate the healthcare system and their personal healthcare by improving access, lowering costs and being a trusted partner for every meaningful moment of health. At CVS Health, healthier happens together. Learn more at cvshealth.com.
- Click this link for a list of current sponsors and discount codes for this show and all Lemonada shows: https://lemonadamedia.com/sponsors/
Check out these resources from today’s episode:
- Read Katelyn’s Substack piece about COVID-19 in China and global concern: https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substack.com/p/covid-19-in-china-and-global-concern
- To listen to more stories from the Voices from the Frontline Series, visit allinforhealthcare.org
- In the Bubble is nominated for a Signal Award! Vote for Andy: https://vote.signalaward.com/PublicVoting#/2022/shows/general/health-wellness
- Find vaccines, masks, testing, treatments, and other resources in your community: https://www.covid.gov/
- Order Andy’s book, “Preventable: The Inside Story of How Leadership Failures, Politics, and Selfishness Doomed the U.S. Coronavirus Response”: https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250770165
Stay up to date with us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram at @LemonadaMedia.
For additional resources, information, and a transcript of the episode, visit lemonadamedia.com/show/inthebubble.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.