MICHAEL YO | Growing up Blasian, Why Cross-Fit Sucks, and Living in a Real-Life Sitcom
Michael Yo (@michaelyo) is a successful comedian, actor, and host who has made a name for himself in Hollywood. He's a two-time Emmy nominee and has been heard on the Joe Rogan Experience. His critically acclaimed comedy special, I Never Thought, showcases his ability to deliver hilarious material drawn from his personal experiences as a father and loving husband.
Michael has worked alongside some of the biggest names in the industry, including Chelsea Handler and Joe Coy, and has starred in his own Apple TV+ series, Amber Brown, and Facebook Watch's first sitcom series, Starter Pack. He's also coached the Kardashian sisters as radio DJs for their show on the E! Network. Despite his success, Michael remains grounded and relatable, with a bottomless pool of material about his family that he incorporates into his stand-up routines.
What Travis and Michael discussed:
- Why the LA environment led Michel to reevaluate his life and relocate to places that better suited his personal and professional needs, resulting in an increased sense of calm and reduced stress.
- The importance of empathy and acknowledging each other's experiences and struggles, regardless of race or background, to create a more understanding and compassionate society and the power of sharing stories to find common ground.
- How Michael’s ignorance of standard comedy set lengths allowed him to perform longer sets and progress more quickly in his career.
- How Michae learned teamwork from football but suggests over-40s should swap tackling for golf or risk becoming the poster child for CrossFit-related injuries.
- Why effective storytelling in comedy is to be authentic, honest, and relatable, ensuring that the audience feels engaged and connected to the story without feeling blamed or alienated.
- Meeting Joe Rogan on Fear Factor, why Crossfit sucks and much more!
Ready for a laugh-out-loud podcast episode? Tune in to hear comedian Michael Yo share hilarious stories about his family, career, and life in LA. We'll dive into why he ditched tackling and why you should too (unless you want to be a CrossFit injury poster child)!
Discover the secret to effective storytelling in comedy, and how empathy can change the world. Plus, hear about the time he met Joe Rogan on Fear Factor and his true feelings about CrossFit!
Follow Travis on:
Twitter 👉🏻 twitter.com/traviscchappell
Pinterest 👉🏻 pinterest.com/travischappellpod
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands
Privacy & Opt-Out: https://redcircle.com/privacy
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices