873: Midweek Mashup | Self Publishing VS Traditional Publishing (Ft. Steve Sims, Rebecca Zung and Dan Martell)
In this Midweek Mashup of the Travis Makes Friends podcast, Travis talks with 3 author friends - Steve Sims, Rebecca Zung, and Dan Martell - about the pros and cons of self-publishing versus going the traditional publishing route. They share their experiences publishing books both ways and offer advice on which path may be better based on your goals.
In this midweek mashup, you’ll find:
- Why Steve Sims, author of Bluefishing and Go For Stupid, now prefers self-publishing over traditional publishing: Steve found the traditional publishing process for his first book Bluefishing draining. He wouldn't go the traditional route again since self-publishing allows more creative control.
- How Rebecca Zung, author of SLAY the Bully, leveraged self-publishing successfully: After a bad business experience, Rebecca wrote a book on negotiating with narcissists. She self-published and used YouTube to organically drive over 2,000 sales of her $500 online course.
- The truth about Dan Martell’s experience with traditional publishing: Dan went the traditional publishing route for Buy Back Your Time, for credibility but wishes he could have maintained more creative control and flexibility.
- The importance of considering your goals in choosing between self and traditional publishing: If earning money is the priority, self-publishing likely makes more sense. If credibility is more important, traditional may be better.
- How to drive traffic and sales for a self-published book: Self-publishing requires more work for marketing and selling your book. Strategies like YouTube videos and email sequences can generate organic traffic.
If you are considering writing a book, be sure to listen to this episode to hear first-hand experiences on the pros and cons of self-publishing versus going the traditional publishing route.
Special Offer for Travis Makes Friends Listeners:
Get 16 free meals with the Hello Fresh discount code hellofresh.com/travis
Don’t forget to subscribe to our Youtube Channel, @travismakesfriends
Follow Travis on:
Twitter 👉🏻 twitter.com/traviscchappell
Pinterest 👉🏻 pinterest.com/travischappellpod
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands
Privacy & Opt-Out: https://redcircle.com/privacy
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices