PR 101 for Founders: Why, When and How to Use Public Relations as a Force Multiplier With Jonathon Narvey
Public relations, or PR, is a helpful tool that founders can use as a force multiplier to build credibility and increase their reach.
In this podcast episode, Tania speaks with a public relations expert, Jonathon Narvey, about his entrepreneurial journey and how to grow your business faster through PR strategies, whether you have the budget to hire a PR firm or want to find DIY inspiration.
Jonathon Narvey is the Founder & CEO of Mind Meld PR Inc.
Mind Meld PR is a Public Relations Agency in Vancouver, B.C., serving clients in the USA and Canada. They work with innovative startups and scale-ups in SaaS, AI, EdTech, HealthTech, CleanTech, FinTech and more.
As a reporter covering the tech scene, he learned the craft of storytelling. Now in PR, Jonathon and his team use those skills to earn media coverage for innovative tech companies.
"Public relations is a subset of marketing that is a force multiplier for your overall marketing. So actually PR is not, absolutely not, the first thing that your company would invest in ... Once you've got some traction, you got some money ... now you can throw money at PR and this is going to be the force multiplier. It's the pouring gas on the fire that you've already lit and helping you scale up quicker." - Jonathon Narvey
We discuss in this episode with Jonathon:
- Why Jonathon believes there are two reasons why people become entrepreneurs and why he chose entrepreneurship. (4:31 )
- How Jonathon started his entrepreneurial journey by relying on key relationships and people in his life. (6:28 )
- How a touch technique from Star Trek became a metaphor for Jonathon's business. (8:36 )
- Why it’s important to go after a niche and how Jonathon found his for Mind Meld PR. (10:29 )
- What public relations involve. (12:25 )
- The business benefits of PR. (14:24 )
- The difference between marketing, advertising and PR. (15:03 )
- How social media fits into a PR strategy. (16:46 )
- How to choose stories about your business if you want DIY PR. (18:26 )
- Jonathan’s advice on what you can do right now to make your business stand out. (21:11 )
- Why PR remains an effective strategy despite a growing trend to mistrust the media. (24:53 )
- How a shift from the big players in the media to alternative media opens up more opportunities for founders. (27:12 )
- What Jonathon predicts for the future of PR post-pandemic. (28:07 )
- Jonathan’s tips on having conversations and managing expectations with clients. (30:34 )
- The communication habits Jonathon and his team use to connect, plan and improve. (33:11 )
- What Jonathon has observed after years of interviewing successful tech entrepreneurs. (35:13 )
- How to connect with Jonathon. (36:51 )
Full show notes, the transcript, resources and how you can connect with Jonathon, can be found here: https://www.startingadvantage.com/39
Enjoyed this episode? Heard something useful? Let us know!
Please leave a review to support the show on your favourite podcast player.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.