Plant-Based India with Cookbook Author Dr. Sheil Shukla
Our guest today, Dr. Sheil Shukla, practices internal medicine at Northwestern Medicine in Illinois, but within him beats the heart of a true artist, and it’s apparent in everything he does – whether it’s treating patients or photographing mouthwatering meals that he’s prepared for his 60,000 followers on Instagram. Dr. Shukla is also a contributor at the culinary publication – Best of Vegan. He’s been featured in VegNews, Forks Over Knives, and THRIVE Magazine. And now, with his new book, Plant-Based India, he highlights the wonderful, healing foods of the Indian continent, sharing recipes that he grew up with.
We’re extra excited about this interview today to discuss Indian culture and the potential health benefits of India’s beautiful, delicious cuisine, as interpreted by our guest, Dr. Shukla himself!
“That veganism, that plunge, really inspired me to experiment more with my cooking, and explore other vegetables, explore other fruits that I wasn’t eating, and I found that when I eliminated dairy I included more fruits and vegetables than I ever really ate before, and in fact, I thought my diet was more diverse just by eliminating the dairy, and I haven’t looked back since.” -Dr. Sheil Shukla
What we discuss in this episode:
- The role of vegetarianism and veganism in India.
- How religion is a factor in Indian cuisine.
- Dr. Shukla’s diet and upbringing.
- The treatment of cows in India.
- The dairy industry in India.
- Ethical alternatives to ghee.
- Dr. Shukla’s journey to veganism.
- Why and how he created his cookbook.
- Beneficial health properties and vegan substitutions in Indian cuisine.
- How to identify authentic Indian spice blends.
- Helpful tips to take exceptional food photos.
- His Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/plantbasedartist/?hl=en
- Northwestern Medicine website: Sheil Shukla, DO | Northwestern Medicine
- His book: Plant-Based India: Nourishing Recipes Rooted in Tradition
The Plant-based Playbook IS HERE!
Let the Plant-based Games Begin, the first-ever guidebook dedicated to optimizing athletic performance with plant-based fuel. We developed the Playbook in consultation with the IOC’s Office of Sustainability to help coaches, dietitians, and athletes understand how to embrace plant-based nutrition.
Researched and written by a diverse group of highly credentialed researchers, clinicians, and athletes, the Playbook leverages peer-reviewed science and real-world experience to illuminate the physiological benefits of a plant-based diet. The Playbook also includes robust, field-tested tools and resources for meal planning and other practical implementation techniques.
You can download the Playbook here: https://switch4good.org/plant-based-playbook/
★☆★ JOIN OUR PRIVATE FACEBOOK GROUP ★☆★
★☆★ SWITCH4GOOD WEBSITE ★☆★
★☆★ ONLINE STORE ★☆★
★☆★ FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM ★☆★
★☆★ LIKE US ON FACEBOOK ★☆★
★☆★ FOLLOW US ON TWITTER ★☆★
★☆★ DOWNLOAD THE ABILLION APP ★☆★