879: Rebecca Zung ⎸ How to Negotiate with a Narcissist
Rebecca Zung (@rebeccazung) has been recognized as one of the Best Lawyers in America by U.S. News and is a globally recognized expert on negotiating with narcissists, with over 35 million views on YouTube in just two years.
Rebecca created the SLAY® Negotiation Method and is the author of the upcoming book SLAY the Bully: How to Negotiate with a Narcissist and Win, which features a foreword by Chris Voss. She has also written two bestselling books: Negotiate Like You M.A.T.T.E.R.: The Sure Fire Method to Step Up and Win, with a foreword by Robert Shapiro, and Breaking Free: A Step-by-Step Divorce Guide for Achieving Emotional, Physical, and Spiritual Freedom.
Rebecca is frequently called upon to provide her perspective in media outlets, including Extra, Forbes, Huffington Post, Newsweek, Time, Dr. Drew, and Ed Mylett’s Podcast.
Her podcast, Negotiate Your Best Life, is ranked in the top 0.5% of all podcasts globally.
Along with In-N-Out Burger owner Lynsi Snyder Ellingson, Rebecca founded Slay Legal Aid, a 501c3 that provides legal aid to those in need.
What Travis and Rebecca discussed:
- Why Consistency is Key: Rebecca explains that it took her around 10 years of consistently speaking at networking events, publishing articles, and building her brand before she reached a point where she no longer had to market her law practice actively. This shows the importance of sticking with marketing and branding efforts over the long haul rather than giving up after just a few attempts.
- How to Leverage Relationships: Rebecca highlights how key relationships, like the one with her best friend who encouraged her and the woman who gave her an existing law practice, were pivotal moments that helped propel her forward.
- The Reason Behind Rebecca's Pivot: After building a very successful law practice, Rebecca explains she merged it with others because she was burnt out. This shows that even when something is going well, don't be afraid to make a change if it no longer aligns with your passion and purpose.
- Why Negotiating with a Narcissist is Challenging: Rebecca explains that narcissists see things as black and white, and their goal is often not just to win but to make the other person lose. She notes that trying to negotiate with a narcissist rationally typically doesn't work because they are focused on their own self-interest and "narcissistic supply." Rebecca suggests figuring out what matters most to the narcissist and using that as leverage when negotiating.
- How to Turn Setbacks into Opportunities: When a business partnership went south, Rebecca used it as motivation to double down on her strengths. She refined her negotiation program, embraced online marketing, and ultimately built a thriving business that allowed her to make a bigger impact.
If you want to learn tactical strategies for achieving your biggest goals, listen to this podcast episode featuring lawyer-turned-entrepreneur Rebecca Zung. You'll discover how her grit and ability to turn setbacks into opportunities ultimately led to the thriving business she has today.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our Youtube Channel, @travismakesfriends
Follow Travis on:
Twitter 👉🏻 twitter.com/traviscchappell
Pinterest 👉🏻 pinterest.com/travischappellpod
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices