REPLAY - EBB 194: Nutrition and Real Food in Pregnancy with Lily Nichols, RDN
July 26, 2023 - For today's episode, we are highlighting one of our favorite podcast episodes with the replay of an interview with Lily Nichols, RDN, all about nutrition and real food in pregnancy.
Content warning: gestational diabetes, high-risk pregnancies, food insecurities, "failed diet therapy", NICU, and interventions
On today’s podcast, we’re going to talk with Lily Nichols, RDN, about nutrition and real food in pregnancy.
Lily Nichols (she/her) is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, Certified Diabetes Educator, researcher, and author with a passion for evidence-based prenatal nutrition. Her work is known for being research-focused, thorough, and critical of outdated dietary guidelines. She is co-founder of the Women’s Health Nutrition Academy and the author of two books, Real Food for Pregnancy and Real Food for Gestational Diabetes. Lily’s bestselling books have helped tens of thousands of families, are used in university-level maternal nutrition and midwifery courses, and have even influenced prenatal nutrition policy internationally.
In this episode, we talk about the difference between eating real food and processed food in pregnancy, and the best ways to use nutrition to “stack the deck in your favor” for a lower-risk, healthier pregnancy. Lily talks candidly about the gap between evidence and nutritional practice, the importance of protein and choline in pregnancy, and why blood sugar management is so important in pregnancy.
- Read the Evidence Based Birth article on Diagnosing Gestational Diabetes here
- Visit Lily Nichols’ website here: https://lilynicholsrdn.com
- Find the books “Real Food for Pregnancy” and “Real Food for Gestational Diabetes” on Amazon or wherever books are sold!
- You can also buy “Real Food for Pregnancy” at Lily’s shop here
- Read Lily’s article about protein in pregnancy here: https://lilynicholsrdn.com/protein-requirements-pregnancy/
- Read Lily’s article about 9 Myths about Gestational Diabetes: https://lilynicholsrdn.com/9-gestational-diabetes-myths/
- Visit the Women’s Health Nutritional Academy here: https://whnacademy.com/
- Join Lily’s Gestational Diabetes course here: http://realfoodforgd.com/online-course/
- Follow Lily on Instagram @lilynicholsrdn
For more information and news about Evidence Based Birth®, visit www.ebbirth.com.
- Find us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/EvidenceBasedBirth/),
- Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/ebbirth/), and
- Pinterest (https://www.pinterest.com/ebbirth/).
Ready to get involved?
- Check out our Professional membership (including scholarship options) (https://evidencebasedbirth.com/become-pro-member/).
- Find an EBB Instructor here (https://evidencebasedbirth.com/find-an-instructor-parents/),
- Click here (https://evidencebasedbirth.com/childbirth-class/) to learn more about the Evidence Based Birth® Childbirth Class.