S1 E3 | Stop the Shame Scripts Holding You Back
All of us have facts that make up the stories of who we are. But we’re not just the sum total of these facts. There’s also the impact from these facts, which lives with us beyond the occurrence of the devastation, abuse or pain that happened to us. And in the middle of that impact, chances are there are some Shame Scripts holding us hostage from living in the freedom God so desires for us.
A Shame Script can simply be defined as a faulty belief or perception of self, others and/or God. Shame Scripts back us into isolation, making us imprisoned by lies, like …
You are unwanted.
You are an inconvenience.
No one really cares about you.
If you’re not performing or achieving something, you don’t have value.
You’re just not good enough.
In this episode of Therapy & Theology, Lysa TerKeurst, Jim Cress and Joel Muddamalle dive into how Shame Scripts reveal themselves personally in their lives, and this episode also discusses practical tips and tools for how we can find our way out of the shame caving us in.
After listening, you will be equipped to:
- Live true to your most healed, healthy, whole, holy, surrendered-to-God self and not the version of yourself that’s haunted and held back by shame.
- Replace scripts of shame with words of life by uncovering the truth, found in Genesis, of how God really made us and what He made us for.
- We pray this conversation blesses you, friend!
A note from Proverbs 31 Ministries: This podcast contains content that might not be suitable for young children and may serve as a trigger due to circumstances in your past. Please see the links below if you need help finding a counselor.
- Want more wisdom as you navigate hard relationship dynamics? Find practical next steps, powerful scriptures and timely guidance on how to set realistic, healthy boundaries in Lysa TerKeurst's new book, Good Boundaries and Goodbyes. In the pages of this book, Lysa's personal counselor, Jim Cress, also provides therapeutic insight surrounding the topic of boundaries, helping you confidently apply what you read. Order the Proverbs 31-exclusive version here.
- Ready to take a personal next step in finding a Christian counselor? The American Association of Christian Counselors is a great place to find the right fit for you and your circumstances.
- Has the Therapy & Theology podcast helped you personally gain a fresh, biblical perspective for what you’re facing? Tell us about it by leaving a review on Apple Podcasts. When you review and rate the podcast, it helps us reach even more people with biblical Truth and therapeutic wisdom.
Click here to view the transcript for this episode.