S1 E6 | Narcissism ... What It Is and What It Isn’t
“Narcissism.” It’s a word that gets thrown around a lot, but what does it really mean? And how does it affect your life?
So … what do we do if we’re in a relationship with a narcissist? And how is narcissism different than a personal struggle with selfishness? And what does selfishness teach us about our own need for God, even if we don’t struggle with narcissism?
In this episode of Therapy & Theology, we'll unpack narcissism through a conversation between Lysa TerKeurst; her personal, licensed counselor, Jim Cress; and Proverbs 31 Ministries Director of Theological Research Dr. Joel Muddamalle.
After listening, you will …
- Understand the medically defined character traits of a narcissist as well as the difference between narcissism and selfishness.
- Discover that the desire of a narcissist — to receive admiration and praise and to control others — is a human need that we all struggle with on some level and that only Jesus can truly fulfill.
- Learn that compassion and healthy boundaries are necessary if you are in a marriage, family or working relationship with a narcissist.
A note from Proverbs 31 Ministries: The content in this podcast covers the topic of narcissism.
Narcissism is a personality disorder that requires a medical diagnosis. Proverbs 31 Ministries does not condone labeling another person with a personality disorder. Please see the links below if you need help finding a counselor.
- Want more wisdom as you navigate hard relationship dynamics? Find practical next steps, powerful scriptures and timely guidance on how to set realistic, healthy boundaries in Lysa TerKeurst's new book, Good Boundaries and Goodbyes. In the pages of this book, Lysa's personal counselor, Jim Cress, also provides therapeutic insight surrounding the topic of boundaries, helping you confidently apply what you read. Order the Proverbs 31-exclusive version here.
- Ready to take a personal next step in finding a Christian counselor? The American Association of Christian Counselors is a great place to find the right fit for you and your circumstances.
- Has the Therapy & Theology podcast helped you personally gain a fresh, biblical perspective for what you’re facing? Tell us about it by leaving a review on Apple Podcasts. When you review and rate the podcast, it helps us reach even more people with biblical Truth and therapeutic wisdom.
Click here to view the transcript for this episode.