Sam Harris ON: How To Break Your Social Media Habits & Ways to Master Your Anxious Thoughts
Today, I sit down with Sam Harris to talk about dealing with extreme emotions and pursuing your purpose. We discuss our freedom to pursue beliefs we want to support, how to approach meditation with maturity and incorporate it into our daily life, the crippling effects of spending too much time on social media, and how to turn outrage into manageable situations.
Sam Harris is an American author, philosopher, neuroscientist, and podcast host. He is known for his writings and lectures on religion, morality, neuroscience, and free will. Harris received a degree in philosophy from Stanford University and a Ph.D. in neuroscience from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). He has authored several books, including "The End of Faith," "Letter to a Christian Nation," "Waking Up," and "Free Will." Harris is also the host of the podcast "Making Sense," where he discusses various topics related to science, politics, and philosophy.
You can order my new book 8 RULES OF LOVE at 8rulesoflove.com or at a retail store near you. You can also get the chance to see me live on my first ever world tour. This is a 90 minute interactive show where I will take you on a journey of finding, keeping and even letting go of love. Head to jayshettytour.com and find out if I'll be in a city near you. Thank you so much for all your support - I hope to see you soon.
Open the door to a deeper understanding of yourself—with guided meditations and insights for living a more examined life. Visit https://www.wakingup.com/jayshetty
What We Discuss:
- 00:00 Intro
- 02:34 What is worthy of pursuit in life?
- 06:47 The difference between religion and spirituality that truly transcends culture
- 12:14 Why we need to be wiser in finding what is worthy of our credence
- 24:57 Sam explains what’s the mature approach of meditation and how this can be achieved
- 36:02 There are many levels of outrage and it mostly depends on the presented situation
- 45:00 How do you handle the feeling of outrage or any other strong feeling that may be difficult to deal with
- 54:19 Sam shares the philanthropic charities he has been investing his time in
- 01:02:02 Lessening time on social media can help avoid getting exposed to toxic and unhealthy content
- 01:11:16 How will you deal with the death of a loved one and of your own?
- 01:17:04 Sam on Final Five
- Sam Harris | Website
- Sam Harris | YouTube
- Sam Harris | Twitter
- Sam Harris | Facebook
- Sam Harris | TikTok
- Sam Harris | Books
- Waking Up
- Making Sense with Sam Harris
Want to be a Jay Shetty Certified Life Coach? Get the Digital Guide and Workbook from Jay Shetty https://jayshettypurpose.com/fb-getting-started-as-a-life-coach-podcast/
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.