TMHS 604: How Culture Controls What We Eat & Secrets To Smarter Grocery Shopping - With Kevin Curry
Even though the United States is the wealthiest country in the world, we have a glaring problem with accessibility to healthy food. According to the USDA, over 35 percent of households with incomes below the poverty line faced food insecurity in the year 2020. Rates of food insecurity were significantly higher than the national average for single-parent homes, as well as Black and Hispanic families.
Additionally, a 2019 study showed that suboptimal diets were responsible for over 11 million deaths around the world. There’s clearly a huge disconnect between having the access and the knowledge to efficiently fuel our bodies. This is a complex issue and there’s not a straightforward solution. But luckily, there are a few things we can do to start moving the needle in a positive direction.
Our guest today, Kevin Curry, is a renowned food expert, bestselling author, fitness expert, and the mind behind Fit Men Cook. Kevin is on a mission to make healthy food more affordable, and that’s what we’re going to talk about today. Kevin’s going to be defining important terms like food insecurity and food desert, and we’re talking about the role education plays in improving our collective health. You’re going to learn helpful tips for managing your grocery budget, reducing food waste, how to make your food last longer, and much more!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- The link between poor diet and rates of disease.
- What you need to know about food shortages.
- The differences between food hunger, food insecurity, and food desert.
- Why healthy food is inaccessible in food deserts.
- The connection between processed food consumption and obesity.
- How food companies target children in their marketing.
- The importance of defining nourishment.
- Why education is an important component of improving our nation’s health.
- Tips for keeping your grocery bill lower.
- How to make your produce last longer.
- Why eating in restaurants and trying different foods is so valuable.
- The importance of honoring culture and heritage in your diet.
- Kevin’s favorite foods to eat in the summer.
- The power of donating to local food banks.
Join TMHS Facebook community - Model Nation
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- WildPastures.com/model -- Get 20% off every box plus an additional $15 off!
- Beekeepersnaturals.com/model -- Save 25% on raw honey & other natural remedies!
- Fit Men Cook by Kevin Curry
- The Fit Cook
- Connect with Kevin Curry Website / Facebook / Twitter / Instagram
Be sure you are subscribed to this podcast to automatically receive your episodes: