TMHS 621: How Your Brain Health Controls Your Mental Health – with Dr. Daniel Amen
The human brain is an incredibly complex and dynamic organ. It controls so much of who we are and how we operate, including everything from memory and emotion to vision and hunger. And with an increased prevalence in mental illnesses and neurodegenerative diseases, it’s more important than ever that we understand how our brain works so we can optimize its function and longevity.
Today you’re going to hear a compilation of two of my previous interviews with Dr. Daniel Amen. Dr. Amen is a leading brain health expert and double board-certified psychiatrist, and the founder of Amen Clinics, home to the world’s largest database of brain scans. If you’re interested in improving your brain health, there’s no one better to learn from than Dr. Amen.
You’re going to hear about how brain health influences mental health, the state of psychiatry and mental health in the US, and how we can begin to take a root-cause approach to improving mental health. We’ll talk about specific strategies you can use to lower brain inflammation, improve brain blood flow, and so much more. Dr. Amen is also sharing powerful information about cultivating happiness and empowerment. Enjoy!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- What percentage of Americans have been diagnosed with a mental illness.
- The connection between mental health and brain health.
- How deprivation can lead to imbalances in the brain.
- What SPECT imaging is, and the three things it can tell you about your brain.
- How improving brain health can increase the efficacy of therapy.
- Why fame is horrible for the brain.
- How understanding your brain type can help you make better decisions.
- The importance of having adequate blood flow to the brain.
- Why improving your health should be based in love.
- How to improve your omega 3 levels and reduce inflammation.
- What PTSD looks like on a brain scan.
- The connection between body weight and blood flow to the brain.
- How leaky gut contributes to leaky brain.
- The importance of high-quality sleep for brain health.
- Critical health factors to check before beginning psychiatric medications.
- How improving brain health can reduce rates of incarceration and addiction.
- What part of the brain feels pleasure.
- How brain scans of the prefrontal cortex can indicate happiness levels.
- Why a healthy brain is the key to happiness.
- The different brain types, and how they view the world.
- An important connection between low-quality food and inflammation.
- The relationship between the amygdala and fear.
- How the American government contributes to mental illnesses.
- Why prolonged use of technology is unhealthy for the brain.
- Dr. Amen’s nighttime ritual for happiness and gratitude.
- A silver lining of families being home during the pandemic.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- PiqueLife.com/model -- Use code MODEL at checkout for 10% off!
- Beekeepersnaturals.com/model -- Save 25% on raw honey & other natural remedies!
- How Neuroscience is Transforming Psychiatry with Dr. Daniel Amen – Episode 400
- How to Discover Your Brain Type with Dr. Daniel Amen – Episode 568
- Justin Bieber: Seasons
- Healing ADD by Dr. Daniel Amen
- Change Your Brain, Change Your Body by Dr. Daniel Amen
- The Daniel Plan by Dr. Daniel Amen
- Why Be Happy? by Dennis Prager
- Change Your Brain Foundation
- The End of Mental Illness by Dr. Daniel Amen
- The Brain Warrior’s Way by Dr. Daniel Amen
- Amen University
- Connect with Dr. Daniel Amen Website / Facebook / Instagram / TikTok
Join TMHS Facebook community - Model Nation
Be sure you are subscribed to this podcast to automatically receive your episodes: