TMHS 627: New Studies Reveal the Statin Drug Industry Is Failing to Reduce Heart Disease – with Dr. Jonny Bowden
Statins are one of the most commonly prescribed drugs in the United States. In fact, more than a quarter of Americans over the age of 40 are taking this popular drug class. You might think this is rational since cardiovascular disease is one of the leading causes of death, and statins are often touted by providers for their ability to reduce risks of heart attacks and strokes. However, this is a massive oversimplification of human biology and the implications of long-term prescription medication use.
Today’s guest, Dr. Jonny Bowden, is a board-certified nutritionist, a repeat bestselling author, and one of the biggest proponents of reducing statin usage for a large portion of the population. On this episode of The Model Health Show, Dr. Bowden is back to share the truth about cholesterol levels, how statins actually work, and when they are an appropriate treatment plan.
You’re going to learn powerful information on which biomarkers predict cardiovascular outcomes, and how to make a thorough risk-benefit analysis for any medication. We’re diving into the side effects of statin drugs, the connection between metabolism and heart disease, and so much more. I hope you enjoy this interview with the one and only, Dr. Jonny Bowden!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- A simple ratio you can use to determine your risk of cardiovascular events.
- Why statin prescriptions are based on outdated science.
- What population does not benefit from using statins.
- Why statins were developed, and what type of patient they are meant to treat.
- The side effects of taking statins.
- An important distinction between healthcare and sickcare.
- How the pharmaceutical industry dominates our health outcomes.
- Why there’s no such thing as good cholesterol and bad cholesterol.
- A critical biomarker that can be used to predict risk of cardiovascular events.
- The difference between lowering cholesterol and lowering heart disease.
- What the main goal of pharmaceutical companies is.
- The connection between statins and insulin resistance.
- What percentage of Americans have some degree of insulin resistance.
- The relationship between diabetes and heart disease.
- How sleep deprivation impacts insulin sensitivity.
- The easiest way to improve your triglyceride levels.
- Why drug interactions are often overlooked.
- How statins actually work.
- What the awesome foursome is.
- Why the heart needs CoQ10, and how statins interfere with its levels.
- The role of statins in erectile dysfunction.
- How mitochondrial dysfunction contributes to disease.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Ettitude.com/model -- Use the coupon code model15 for 15% off organic bedding!
- Onnit.com/model -- Save an exclusive 10% on performance supplements & tools!
- Living Low Carb by Dr. Jonny Bowden
- The Great Cholesterol Myth by Dr. Jonny Bowden
- Dopesick on Hulu
- Sickening: How Big Pharma Broke American Healthcare by Dr. John Abramson
- The Crime of the Century on HBO Max
- 5-Day Intro to Intermittent Fasting
- Connect with Dr. Jonny Bowden Website / Facebook / Twitter / Instagram
Join TMHS Facebook community - Model Nation
Be sure you are subscribed to this podcast to automatically receive your episodes: