TMHS 636: How to Reverse Multiple Sclerosis & Defend Your Body Against Autoimmune Diseases – with Dr. Terry Wahls
The immune system is one of the most powerful, complex systems in your body. Its critical role is to protect the body from harmful invaders like viruses and bacteria. An autoimmune disease occurs when the immune system misfires, attacking the very cells it is intended to protect. The range of autoimmune diseases is vast, and they can affect different organs and systems in the body.
Multiple sclerosis, or MS, is a progressive autoimmune disease that attacks the body’s central nervous system. In severe cases, MS can cause debilitating symptoms such as blindness, paralysis, and neurodegeneration. Today’s guest, Dr. Terry Wahls is a clinical professor of medicine, a clinical researcher, speaker, and bestselling author. She is also a patient with a diagnosis of secondary progressive multiple sclerosis.
Dr. Wahls has an incredible story of alleviating MS symptoms, regaining mobility, and helping others with progressive diagnoses and autoimmune diseases. On this episode, she’s sharing her personal story plus tons of information about autoimmunity, mitochondria, nutritional changes for restoring your health, and so much more. Grateful and excited to share this conversation with Dr. Terry Wahls!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- How many Americans have been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease.
- What multiple sclerosis is.
- The wide variety of symptoms that can be caused by MS.
- How changing her diet improved Dr. Wahls’ health.
- The role mitochondria play in progressive diseases.
- Three factors that contribute to the development of autoimmune diseases.
- How environmental factors can increase your risk for autoimmunity.
- Why diet is an important factor in immune function.
- The one lifestyle change that radically improved Dr. Wahls’ disease progression.
- An important connection between the microbiome, gut health, and immunity.
- What mitochondrial dysfunction is.
- How environmental toxins and factors can lead to mitochondrial damage.
- Specific foods to include to prevent or alleviate autoimmune symptoms.
- The three main foods that can be a trigger for autoimmune disease.
- How to incorporate organ meats (& their benefits!)
- Why loneliness & lack of connection are major disease contributors.
- An empowering way to think about a diagnosis.
- Why health is a nonstop journey.
- Details about Dr. Wahls’ upcoming clinical trial for MS patients.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Onnit.com/model -- Save an exclusive 10% on performance supplements & tools!
- PaleoValley.com/model -- Use code MODEL at checkout for 15% off!
- Clinical Trial Screening – The Efficacy of Diet on Quality of Life in MS -- Take the survey!
- The Wahls Protocol by Dr. Terry Wahls
- The Wahls Protocol Cooking for Life by Dr. Terry Wahls
- Connect with Dr. Terry Wahls Website / Facebook / Instagram
Join TMHS Facebook community - Model Nation
Be sure you are subscribed to this podcast to automatically receive your episodes: