TMHS 646: The Truth About Body Fat, Calories, & Long-Term Weight Loss
There’s so much conflicting information about human nutrition, metabolism, and weight loss. One of the most pervasive pieces of diet nutrition that most folks subscribe to is the concept of “calories in, calories out.” While this model isn’t inherently wrong, it also doesn’t paint the full picture of how human digestion works. Today we’re going to unpack exactly how our bodies process and assimilate the foods we eat.
On today’s show, you’re going to hear an interview I did with Dr. Steven Gundry on The Dr. Gundry Podcast. We’re diving into topics like the science of calories, epicaloric controllers, how macronutrients influence our weight, and how our brain can control how our metabolism works. You’re going to learn about specific foods you can eat to improve your health, and how processes like blood sugar and inflammation could be negatively impacting your body’s overall function.
You’ll also learn how body fat works, and the specific types of fat our body has. This episode gets to the truth about calories, and how you can start eating in a way that optimizes your brain, body composition, and overall well-being. I believe that this interview is full of information that you can begin to implement no matter your starting point; so listen in and enjoy the show!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- The importance of utilizing instinctive elaboration by asking empowering questions.
- What the number one purpose of our body fat is.
- Different types of storage fats and their specific roles.
- Which type of fat our brain is comprised of.
- Why conflating diet success with hunger is dangerous.
- What epicaloric influences are.
- Six specific epicaloric controllers that are impacting your metabolism.
- How your body processes whole foods versus processed foods.
- What the thermic effect of food is.
- How your microbiome can influence your metabolism.
- Why hypothalamic inflammation can decrease your calorie burn.
- The importance of increasing the diversity of foods you eat.
- A connection between microbiome diversity, obesity, and risk for chronic diseases.
- How eating protein for breakfast can help you lose weight.
- What you should know about the RDA for protein.
- How DHA consumption can improve your memory and focus.
- The best whole food sources of DHA.
- How blood sugar control can influence your emotions.
- The role magnesium plays in reducing stress and regulating emotions.
- How we can leverage our psychology to make healthier choices.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Foursigmatic.com/model -- Get an exclusive 10% discount on your daily health elixirs!
- PaleoValley.com/model -- Use code MODEL at checkout for 15% off!
- The Dr. Gundry Podcast
- Eat Smarter
Join TMHS Facebook community - Model Nation
Be sure you are subscribed to this podcast to automatically receive your episodes: