TMHS 692: How to Heal Faster from Injuries, Eliminate Pain, & Master Rehab Science – with Dr. Tom Walters
No one is immune from pain and injuries; they’re an inevitable part of life. Luckily, our bodies are incredible in their capacity to heal and recover. But if you want to heal faster and more effectively, having a foundational understanding of pain science can yield incredible results.
Today’s guest, Dr. Tom Walters, is a board-certified orthopedic physical therapist and strength and conditioning specialist. In this interview, he’s sharing principles from his new book, Rehab Science. We’re going to cover exactly how pain is created in the body, how to heal from injuries faster, and the role of the brain and nervous system in managing pain.
You’re going to learn the science behind pain, tips for faster recovery, and the basics of wound healing. Dr. Tom Walters is a true expert in all things physical therapy, and I know you’re going to find his insights valuable. So click play, listen in, and enjoy the show!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- Why pain education is so important.
- The definition of pain.
- How the potential for tissue damage can create pain in the body.
- What nociception is.
- The psychological factors that can influence pain.
- What the biopsychosocial model of physical therapy is.
- How the sensitivity of the nervous system can affect the sensation of pain.
- The truth about immobilizing an injury.
- Why pain and injury recovery require active participation.
- The fascinating link between the immune system and pain sensors.
- What flexion sensitivity is.
- The connection between depression and low back pain.
- Main differences between injury and pain.
- Three basic phases of wound healing.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Beekeepersnaturals.com/model -- Save 20% on raw honey & other natural remedies!
- PaleoValley.com/model -- Use code MODEL for 15% off!
- Rehab Science by Dr. Tom Walters
- Connect with Dr. Tom Walters Website / Instagram / Facebook / YouTube
Join TMHS Facebook community - Model Nation
Be sure you are subscribed to this podcast to automatically receive your episodes: